Famous for offering help & advice

Default Intriguing family mysteries?

Hi

I know how we like to break down brickwalls and discover elusive ancestors but are there one or two mysteries you find intriguing because they are unsolved. I dont have a great deal as I like to solve most of mine and find those elusive ancestors but here is one of mine.

Isabella Stokes, born about 1852, Terling, Essex. She is on the 1861 census daughter of Frederick and Louisa Stokes. She wed in 1869 and died in February 1932 aged 79. All census records for her say she was born in Terling which comes under Witham reg district.

I cannot find any record of her birth. I looked at Terling PRs plus a few surrounding areas and found no baptism. I know she had a sister Lucy and another one born in 1855 in Terling and they were both registered. I have tried all variants of her first and surname for a birth in the GRO indexes to no avail, and all births in that reg district. It does look like her birth was not registered, or a chance it may have been missed. But in 1852-1853 there was no penalty for non registration as it was the duty of the registrar and his deputies to tour the district taking notes of new births. If her birth was not registered and I cannot locate a baptism then no record of her birth exists. Even though I know her parents names from the 1861 census and her marriage record.

That is one FH mystery that does intrigue me.

Ben

Nicolina

when did her parents marry? Could she be registered under her mothers name, or even simply as "female"? Or even a different District. There are endless possibilties.

Her parents wed in 1839. I have tried all variants of surname and first name separately if you know what I mean. I shall have another punt round, just to see if anything does come up. The 1855 child was the last child.

Nicolina

I think that a day out on the Broads to clear the mind might be advisable. Just remember to wrap up well.

How do you mean?

Nicolina

well as you live in Norfolk a day out on the Broads might help you think of other ways to solve the mystery. I get some of my best ideas when I'm relaxed or sitting quietly.

JohnN

If there is indeed no record of an Isabella Stokes being born, have you considered the possibility that she was adopted?
    She might then have been born under a different name altogether - and possibly not even in Terling. Did any close relations of her parents have a child at the right time? The adoption might even have been a casual 'in-family' arrangement.

Just a thought.

Hi John

I dont think she was adopted. I forgot to mention I have not found any baptisms for their other children. I think it is just a case of her not being registered.

Ben