neilelliott21

Default Records for army in Sheerness?

Can anyone offer me some suggestions please?
    I am trying to find more info on Private Martin Burk/e stationed at Sheerness Kent around 1825-1828.
    He was born around 1800, not sure where. His wife (Margaret) was from Northumberland and she lived there until 1881.
    I have not been able to find Martin at the National Archives site. The info I have comes from his children's birth records.
    Thank you
    Neil

Geoffers

There are quite a few possible Martin BURK(E)s on TNA's catalogue - click here - all in WO97 or WO121.

The original records in WO97 can be viewed on the pay-per-view site 'findmypast'

Have you been able to find your chap in any census returns which give a place of birth?

neilelliott21

I have not found him on any census returns. I fear he may have died youngish. I have seen the TNA. He doesn't seem to be any of those but as I don't know where he was born it's difficult. The ages aren't quite right. He seems to have died somewhere between 1826 and 1838. He had a son JOHN in Sheerness somewhere between 1825-1828. I have no death cert for him, but his wife had 2 illegitimate children from a1838 to 1840.

Thank you

busyglen

I've had a look at all of the records that I have access to on Sheppey, and can't find anything, although I don't have any for the early 1800s in Sheerness. Sorry.

Glenys

Reputation beyond repute

See if you can find the birth in the military indexes available on Findmypast and elsewhere. This should identify the regiment which may help to identify the correct service record which in turn should tell you where the father was born.

neilelliott21

I didn't think the birth records were maintained prior to 1837?

Thank you

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by neilelliott21 View Post
    I didn't think the birth records were maintained prior to 1837?
    Civil registration began then - BUT - the army maintained registers which date from before then. These are the regimental registers (1761-1924) and Army Chaplains' returns (1796-1880).

The regimental registers (mostly home vents) and chaplains returns (mostly abroad) of births are indexed and the indexes can be seached on pay-per-view sites and at county record offices. If you find an entry you can apply for a copy of the the certificate from the GRO.

Not all army births were so registered, but then again it's worth a look if only for the purposes of elimination.

Just as an aside............

There are registers/returns for marriages and deaths as well - but - the regimental registers of marriages are not indexed, you can request a search of the registers of marriages to be made if you know the regiment and rough period when someone married.

neilelliott21

Thanks so much for this. I live in Australia so a county office I can't do. The local family history library has GRO indices. I think this gives me an index from which I can order certificates.
    Cheers