Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Price/Ball marriage 1830 Wellington

The Familysearch beta site has an entry for the marriage of Edward Price and Sarah Ball in Wellington in 1830.

I have found them on the 1841 Census and Sarah is down as not born in county. By 1851 although Edward is down as married and not widowed there is no sign of Sarah. By 1861 Edward is definitely a widower.

In order to trace Sarah's parents I really need to know where she was born. Does anyone have access to the Registers for Wellington who could look up this marriage for me, to see if it gives a clue as to where Sarah came from.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Emeltee

Mutley

Do you have the reference for the 1841 census please?

Hi Mutley,

The reference for 1841 is HO107/0924/1

Edward and Sarah are living in Castle Street, Ludlow with daughter Mary Ann. Edward is a Joiner and his age is incorrectly given as 25. He was actually 35 having been born in 1806.

Emeltee

Reputation beyond repute

Does anyone have access to the Registers for Wellington who could look up this marriage for me, to see if it gives a clue as to where Sarah came from.
    The PRs of All Saints Wellington SAL have been filmed by the Mormons. Marriages, August 1819-November 1852 FHL BRITISH Film 2355582. You can order it for viewing at your nearest FHC

Many thanks for that info Peter. Unfortunately our local FHC closed a couple of years ago. I'll have to put this one on the back burner until I can find the time to travel to Manchester, which I think is the nearest.

Emeltee

Mutley

As you have done, I found Edward and daughter in the census and he does say married in 1851.

The only Sarah Price that I can find in 1851 that looks possible is one visiting Charles and Catherine Caren. She says born 1811 in Worcestershire and living in Warwickshire. Both counties close to Shropshire. This lady is married.
    HO107/2073, F. 658 P.17
    She may be worth trying to trace in other census, just to eliminate her.

Good Luck

Thanks for that, Mutley. I'll have a go at tracing her. If I can find her in 1861 she can be discounted as my Sarah was pushing up daisies by then!

Emeltee

Mutley,

On the 1851 Census where you found Sarah Price as a visitor does it say where in Worcestershire she was born. The site I subscribe to has it transcribed as Worcester County Town but the original image is very faint and I'm wondering if it says something else.

Emeltee

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by emeltee View Post
    Mutley,

On the 1851 Census where you found Sarah Price as a visitor does it say where in Worcestershire she was born. The site I subscribe to has it transcribed as Worcester County Town but the original image is very faint and I'm wondering if it says something else.

Emeltee
    It was transcribed as Worcester County Town on the site I use also and the original could well have said that. It was very faint and I could not properly read the original. I did have a quick look for this Sarah in 1961 but none said exactly that as place of birth and I could not find one born in Worcester and living in Warwickshire (though she may have moved!).

I also wondered about the Carens, he sounded quite posh and young to have servants. Was he a Licensee?

I think his name is Carew not Caren and his occupation looks like Landed Proprietor. It's certainly a posh sounding address. It's a pity Sarah Price doesn't have an occupation to help pin her down in 1861. I'll have a look for a Sarah Ball born Worcester circa 1811, but somehow i'm not holding my breath.
    Emeltee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast