vjsmith

Default John Perret - Royal Navy 1859 - ??

Hi there. I discovered that according to the 1871 UK my great-great-grandfather John Perret was in the Royal Navy. According to his service record, he enlisted on HMS Atholl on 1 Jan 1859; his birthday is 27 Dec 1842 (Glasgow, Scotland); his service number is 39246. This is the only service record I found for my John Perret, and the chart attached to the record where I would expect to see his service history is completely blank. I know he didn't stay on the Atholl his entire time in the navy since it was decommissioned in 1863 and in the 1871 census he was a quartermaster on HMS Lapwing. Can anyone tell me where I can find more information about his service in the Royal Navy? Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Valerie
    Oakville, ON, Canada

Geoffers

Welcome to the B-G forums

Just to clarify - have you downloaded his (.pdf) file from The National Archives
    John PERRET ADM139/393 or just got the free download of ADM188/4 from TNA?

If so, does the record take this format? - TNA example 1

If you have a .pdf file, how many pages are there?

This TNA research guide gives advice on tracing ratings

vjsmith

Hi Geoffers. Thanks for your reply. I got the pdf version from ADM 139/393. It is 8 pages long. The first page is the NA logo. The second page is almost identical to the example page you cite. Pages 3 and 5 are identical, but page 3 is a very poor copy. They contain the signatures of John Perrat and the Navy officials. Page 4 is blank. Pages 6-8 have columns with the headings "No. on Ship's Books", "Date of Badge", "Date of Seaman's Gunner's certificate", etc. Is there a way I can attach the pdf to this blog so you can see it?

I have looked at the research guide you mention and it looks like my next step is to look at ADM 38, however I'm having trouble figuring out how to do this online -- I can only see a description of the series. Any suggestions?

Thanks very much!

Valerie
    Oakville, Ontario, Canada

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by vjsmith
    I got the pdf version from ADM 139/393. It is 8 pages long.
    Ah good, you have the file. The files in ADM139 are different to the later ADM188 records, and contain variable detail. Sometimes you are lucky with the detail, sometimes not. I have one such file which contains about the same as you describe (he only completed the 10 years in the RN), the remaining 14 ADM139 files in my possession are all much longer, in each of them men re-engaged to serve beyond 1872 and there is a list of ships around about page 8; there are also files for these men in ADM188 and in a couple of cases ADM196 on commission.

Is there a way I can attach the pdf to this blog so you can see it?
    TNA permit the temporary posting of extracts to aid interpretation. You can put extracts on a site such as photobucket, flickr, etc and post the link here.

I have looked at the research guide you mention and it looks like my next step is to look at ADM 38, however I'm having trouble figuring out how to do this online
    Sorry, but the 9,376 files in ADM38 are not available online. The catalogue is just that, a reference index describing the documents to be identified for use at TNA.

If your chap completed his first 10 years and then re-engaged there should be a sheet to record this, it might be around page 3? If he re-engaged and served beyond 1872 I would expect there to be another file in ADM188 - unless he was commissioned and then there would be a file in ADM196 (also available via documentsonline).