Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    robsnicta

Default Birth Look Up Please - Daniel Atkins

I have an ancestor Daniel Atkins that was born either in Charlton or Kings Sutton between 1809 - 1822, Northants. Could someone please help by doing a search for his birth?

Also would anybody know where I can get parish records covering the above two areas?

Thanks

Reputation beyond repute

I think you'll find Charlton was a hamlet and not a parish. The BTs for Kings Sutton, NTH, have been filmed by the Mormons so you could order the film and search it.

For nearby parishes, see the GenUKI Church Database.

Bear in mind the proximity to OXF.

Growing old Disgracefully

Hi
    Daniel Atkins born 1820 Charlton, Northamptonshire.
    In the 1851 Census living at Park Gate, Soulden, Oxfordshire occupation Agu. Lab
    With a Wife Elizabeth born 1827 Hardington (I think this should be Headington) Oxforshire.
    With son Thomas born 1849 Newbattle( I think this again should be Newbottle) Oxforshire.
    And a daughter Sarah E born 1850 Soulden, Oxfordshire

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1729; Folio: 237; Page: 1 (TNA)

Sandy
    PS is this your family

janbooth

This might help (source Northamptonshire Marriage Index 1837-60):

27 October 1847 at Newbottle Daniel ATKINS of Kings Sutton, bachelor, full age, Labourer, father Samuel ATKINS, Labourer & Elizabeth FRENCH, of the parish, spinster, full age, father George FRENCH, Horse Dealer

Interesting that although there are many baptisms at Newbottle for other children for Samuel ATKINS and his wife Sarah on Family Search Beta site, there is not one for Daniel - perhaps he was born in his mother's parish in Oxfordshire??

Will investigate further.

Janet

1861 Census

The same Daniel Atkins born 1820 King Sutton, Oxforshire. Still living at Soulden,Oxfordshire.
    still with wife Elizabeth and more children.

1871 Census
    The same Daniel Atkins (Transcribed as David) Born 1820 Charlton By Newbottle, Northamptonshire. Still living in Soulden, Oxfordshire.
    Elizabeth must have died but he still has some of the children.

Looks to me like he can't make up is mind which village he came from or whoever filled in the Census froms didn't know which of them it was.

If you can wait untill tomorrow I can go and have a look for you at the Libuary.

Sandy

janbooth

Default Daniel ATKINS

I did wonder if perhaps Daniel was born before the marriage of Samuel & Sarah but this would not appear to be so as there is a marriage on the Northants Marriage Index 1700-1837 on 13 July 1813 at Newbottle of a Samuel ATKINS & a Sarah TOMS. Ignore the bit about his mother's parish in Oxfordshire - I had another senior moment and was thinking of Daniel's wife whose place of birth was Oxfordshire!

It looks as if Samuel & wife Sarah are living in Kings Sutton in the 1841 census (HO107/804/11, folio 36, page 5), he shown as aged 55, Ag Lab, Sarah as aged 55, with children Joseph & Samuel (all under the surname ADKINS) and interestingly neither Samuel nor Sarah are born in the county of Northants.

Ah, in the 1851 census they are still in Charlton, Kings Sutton and Samuel is shown as born aged 69 born Olney?, Buckinghamshire and Sarah as aged 69 born Bloxham, Oxfordshire.

The earliest baptism at Newbottle appears to be a Mary baptised in 1815 so maybe Daniel was born between 1813 & 1815 in Oxfordshire?? He definitely was not baptised at Bloxham (I have the PR Transcripts for that parish) - mind you I can't find a baptism for a Sarah TOMS either.

Janet
    Last edited by janbooth; 04-01-2011 at 10:45 AM. Reason: omission of text

robsnicta

Sincere thanks to the people who have responded to this thread. Your help has been greatly appreciated.

I am the great great grandson of Daniel Atkins who was born about 1820. My own research to date has shown Daniels family was born between 1840 to 1850, exactly as is mentioned in your posts. My ancestor is the son Daniel Henry which moved to Yorkshire.
    An old family tale was that some present relations were related somehow years ago. I have confirmed this from Daniels last daughter Eliza Jane born in Nov 1859.

According to the cd disc i have for Souldern. An Elizabeth Atkins died in 1864 shortly after the birth of a son James. who only lived for a week or so.

On the 1861 census it shows Daniel and Elizabeth with the family. Whereas in 1871 it mentions a daughter called Sarah Atkins. This has caused me alot of confusion and theories. For example with the age and name difference with Daniels daughter Elizabeth. As Sarah is believed to have been born about 1840. Possibly to a Martha Atkins whom married a Daniel Atkins from Farringdon i think in 1838.
    Is the Sarah linked to my family as the census suggest either directly or indirectly.

I have no knowledge of Samual or a Sarah being Daniels parents to date. Therefore any more information that may be found would be welcomed.
    I have read that Atkins is a derative of Adkins. Which happened in my family some point in history.

Finally i would think that coming from a rural area, my family either worked on the land or associated industries. Though the industrial revolution would be under way.

Regards.

Rob
    Last edited by robsnicta; 05-01-2011 at 9:53 PM. Reason: additional text

sorry I didn't get to do the lookup for you yesterday.

Your problem with the 1861 Census is easy to sort out, if you look at the orignal page you can see a captol S. under 2 thick black lines like this // which means the end of the Household. It also has Marmaduke Dolman b. 1839 Yorkshire as Daniel & Elizabeths son.
    Its a possiblity which could be another story (at the moment I can't do searches on An*****y to check) but this could be where the 2 brothers who went to Yorkshire got the idea from.

Another mistake on 1871 Census they have trancribed Daughter Sarah age wrong it should be 21 not 31 It is clearly 21 on the orignal page of the census.

Found 2 Births for James ADKINS Sept 1/4 Bicester.
    Found 1 Death for James ADKINS Sept 1/4 Bicester.
    Found 1 Death for Elizabeth ADKINS Dec 1/4 Bicester.
    Found a Marriage for Daniel ATKINS and on the same page is Elizabth FRENCH Dec 1/4 1847, Brackley.
    Found Births for all the children
    Thomas 1848 Brackley
    Sarah Elizabeth 1850 Bicester
    John 1853 Bicester
    Daniel Henry 1855 Bicester
    Mary 1858 Bicester
    Eliza Jane 1860 Bicester
    all on FreeBMD if you want to check them out.

Brackley is Registration District for King Sutton and Newbottle
    Bicester is the Registration District for Souldern

Sandy

robsnicta

Thanks so much for your help Sandy and yes I too can now see that the 1871 census says age 21 for Sarah having increased the size of the original document online. It is probably another transcription error at some point in history the Adkins became Atkins or vice versa. Something else for us to investigate.

Robsnicta

Towcester

Hi,

Just had a look at the Northants Baptism index, and I can see that Samuel and Sarah Adkins / Atkins had two sons called Samuel listed, one in 1820 (!) and one in 1826.

When I look at the National Burial Index, there's just a burial for the 1826 one, at Newbottle in 1887.

Is it possible that either the 1820 one was maybe mistranscribed in the index - or (worse and more possible) that the vicar wrote "Samuel" down for the baby, when he should have written Daniel????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast