Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    robsnicta

Hi Towcester

It certainly looks as if the vicar made a big mistake in his records. Daniel is the one born in 1820 and we know he died in Souldern Oxfordshire in 1899. The 1826 Birth was in fact Joseph the next eldest son, Samuel wasn't born untill 1827. It looks like the vicar put the fathers name down as the name of the baby as well!

Is it possible to view the Northants baptism index and national burial index online?

Robsnicta

janbooth

Hi Rob,

More background information on the children of Samuel & Sarah ATKINS/ADKINS:

Northamptonshire Marriage Index 1837-60:

2 November 1840 at Newbottle Henry HARRIS, otp, bachelor, full age, Carrier, father Thomas, Gamekeeper & Mary ATKINS, Kings Sutton, spinster, full age, father Samuel, Labourer

15 July 1838 at Kings Sutton Samuel ATKINS, otp, full age, bachelor, Labourer, father Samuel, Labourer & Mary WALLER, otp, spinster, full age, father William, Labourer

11 August 1856 at Newbottle Samuel ATKINS, Kings Sutton, bachelor, full age, Labourer, father Samuel, Labourer & Mary Ann PECKOVER, otp, spinster, full age, father Samuel, Labourer

There is also a banns record called at Hinton in the Hedges on 19/26 July & 2 August 1840 for a John Samuel ATKINS, Kings Sutton, bachelor & Martha CAD, otp, spinster - don't know if this refers to your family or not.

As far as I know, you can't view Northants baptism or marriage index records online but FreeReg do have quite a few Northamptonshire parish records transcribed.

There is a baptismal record on Family Search Beta at Oving, Bucks on 25 November 1781 for a Samuel ATKINS son of Samuel & Martha. Looking at the 1851 census of Kings Sutton for the birthplace of Samuel ATKINS it looks more like Oving than Olney on further examination, so the above baptism looks a distinct possibility.

Janet
    Last edited by janbooth; 10-01-2011 at 10:25 AM. Reason: extra text

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by Towcester View Post
    Hi,

Just had a look at the Northants Baptism index, and I can see that Samuel and Sarah Adkins / Atkins had two sons called Samuel listed, one in 1820 (!) and one in 1826.

When I look at the National Burial Index, there's just a burial for the 1826 one, at Newbottle in 1887.

Is it possible that either the 1820 one was maybe mistranscribed in the index - or (worse and more possible) that the vicar wrote "Samuel" down for the baby, when he should have written Daniel????

Hi
    Its possible that they had 2 sons called Samuel and the first one died and a second male was also named Samuel.
    This happened a lot.
    Sandy

Towcester

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    Hi
    Its possible that they had 2 sons called Samuel and the first one died and a second male was also named Samuel.
    This happened a lot.
    Sandy
    Hi Sandy,

Yes, it did happen a lot - and while there is usually a burial between the two, it isn't always the case. I always approach the possibility of the vicar being wrong with great caution, and it is usually when all else has failed. However, if he WAS wrong, he often did repeat the name of one of the family, or copy from the entry above the one he was writing. The other possibility is of a twin that the index missed, although this is less probable at this date than earlier since the entries were on forms after 1813.

The other places to check for Daniel would be where Samuel or Mary came from, in case they took him back home to be baptised, so it looks like Oving and Bloxham!

And no, the Northants Baptisms index isn't on-line, but the National Burial Index is on-line at Find My Past.

robsnicta

Default A Quick Update

Hi Everyone

I got the marriage certificate for Daniel and the correct bride is Elizabeth French. So the marriage records which were found on the Northants marriage records were correct.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Robsnicta

janbooth

Great and thanks for letting us know. Good luck with the rest of your research.

Janet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12