Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ted Carpenter

Sorry everybody!! it seems I've been searching under the wrong bush!! Rouse was indeed my wife's great grandmothers name, but it transpires that her mother married twice and the children kept their original surname which was GIBBS. Jessis's siblings were William (died 1967/8 in Milton under Wychwood) Jack (possibly John?) and Frederick (all GIBBS's). Jessie in particular was born in Childrey (Wilts, I Think?) and she married, as said before, Ted (Edward George) HICKS, who wasn't from Highworth, as previously thought, but in fact from Nether Westcott, on the Oxon/Glos border. It seems that his father, George HICKS is buried there. Jessie's father, Henry Gibbs was a traveller (the gypsy connection) and her mother, also called Jessie was from Lechlade. That's all I could find out at this time. Anybody's help in confirming these details would be greatly appreciated.
    Ted

Brick wall demolition expert!

I must confess Ted - I'm a wee bit confused. I see a Jessie ...

RG14PN6440 RG78PN316 RD116 SD2 ED10 SN24
    Family is in Farringdon, Berks

But didn't you say she was born in 1916.

I also see a marriage between a Jessie A Gibbs and a George E Hicks in 1930 in Pewsey, Wilts.

I think I'll read through this thread again. Ignore this if I'm just plain muddled.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Carpenter View Post
    Jessis's siblings were William (died 1967/8 in Milton under Wychwood) ... (all GIBBS's).
    Having trouble finding a death record for William Gibbs. Nearest I can find for the moment is ...

Death Mar 1968 Chipping Norton 6b 1329
    George W Gibbs
    Est. age at death: 65

Ted Carpenter

hi Ollie,
    I reckon that you're right and my mother-in-law can't add up. that would make Jessie only 66 when she died and I clearly remember her being recorded at Burford Cottage Hospital as being 69 years old a while before she died. I believe that you've found the right Jessie agnes Gibbs, born in Childrey. I'm going to double check the marriage that you mentioned as the location is feasable and M-i-L, bless her, could have got the George Edward or edward George the wrong way round. I'll keep you posted!! Thanks again
    Ted

Ted Carpenter

that's a possibility as well. I do wish family would use their actual names instead of their middle names!!!
    ted

If you could check some of the details it would be good. Do you have access to the 1911 census - it's just the head of the household is not called Henry and I'd hate to lead you astray if this is the wrong family.

Do you know when Jessie died?

I see this...

Death MAR 1982 Oxford 20 2918
    Jessie Agnes Hicks
    Birth: 1 Jun 1907

Is Burford Cottage Hospital in the Oxford reg district?

Ted Carpenter

I reckon that you're right and my mother-in-law (bless her) can't add up. I distinctly remember her being recorded, on admission to Burford Cottage Hospital, a good few years before she died, as being 69 years old. But to have been born in 1916 she would have been only 66 when she died. that wolud put her birth year at about 1908, and if M-i-L is correct (for once!!) George Edward (or Edward Geo. whichever) was four years her senior giving him a birth year of 1904 (ish). by the way he had a sister, apparently, by the name of Mary, but no one can recall when she was born.

Ted Carpenter

Yes. That's definitely my wife's gran!! i would assume that as Burford is within West Oxfordshire that it would fall under the Oxford registration district.It's less than twenty miles from Oxford itself. Many Thanks!!!
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Carpenter View Post
    George Edward (or Edward Geo. whichever) was four years her senior giving him a birth year of 1904 (ish). by the way he had a sister, apparently, by the name of Mary, but no one can recall when she was born.
    Ah! then perhaps you should take a look at that 1911 census record.

Ted Carpenter

sorry Ollie but I don't have access to the 1911 census, and again, Henry may be his middle name, as before. I'm told that his wife was also called Jessie nad that she was born in Lechlade, Glos, but it may be that she just came from there at the time they got married. Further to that, George E Hicks' father, seemingly, was also called George (?) but I have no other details than that, so far.
    Ted

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast