Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MarkB

Thanks. Just querying the date you advised. When I checked the passenger lists back in August the arrival date I recorded was 8 July, 1886. I think this lines up with the birth records which show Emily's DOB as 1870 in Salford, Lancashire. She married Herbert the following year and four sons were born to them between 1888 and 1894.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

The first pages I looked at were very black & the date appeared to end in -9. However Ancestrys' index showed 1886.
    Haven't found a burial for Herbert Bingham anywhere, & my S.A. disc for deaths only goes to 1915.

SAGHS doesn't seem to have him on recorded deaths.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

MarkB

Thanks. The newspaper notices announced Herbert Bingham's death in 1918 after he fell off a tram in Adelaide and that the funeral would finish at the West Terrace cemetery. I rang the cemetery and left a message but will try again as they may have been on Christmas break. I was in S.A. recently. Would have visited the cemetery if I was aware at the time of the possibility of my great grandfather being there. All seems a bit sad. He may have died in obscurity (death notice didn't mention any family). He was divorced from my great grandmother in 1905. My father (his grandson) was born in 1919. Unfortunately he died almost twenty years ago so I cannot question him any further. Dad's younger sister who is the only sibling still alive did not know Herbert and thinks he had died by the time she was born. Births, Deaths and Marriages site in S.A. advises there is no information on line. What is SAGHS?

South Australian Genealogy & Heraldry Society who do a grand job of caretaking our Heritage records. The initials will take yuou to their website.
    Happy Families
    Wendy

I've just spoken with some-one who was able to look up West Tce.Cemetery for your Herbert Bingham, but he doesn't seem to show at all uness under a different name, ie Harry, but the date was out for that too. There were some also with no date, but no Herbert. ( I didn't ask to try 'Bert. Not thinking quickly enough having just arrived home.)
    Happy Families
    Wendy

MarkB

Good news. West Terrace cemetery rang me and advised they have found Herbert Bingham. Not sure if its my great grandfather as they have his age on 13 Dec 1918 as 42 y.o., whereas my great grandfather's age was recorded as 22 y.o. on the ship's passenger list in 1886, which means he was 42 y.o. in 1906. Its an old plot in section R5 of the cemetery, leased from 16 july 1884 and expired 1999. They have an historical records section and they may have more information in their files.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12