Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RobinC

Default 11 year old head of household in 1881?

I have come across a 2nd cousin 5 times removed who was called Clara Jane Bridge (born 1869 in Ely, Cambs).

I have found her in 1871 with her parents Benjamin & Lydia:

Class: RG10; Piece: 1516; Folio: 32; Page: 4

In 1881, apparently living alone:

Class: RG11; Piece: 1591; Folio: 34

In 1891, working as a servant at the "Gordon" residence:

Class: RG12; Piece: 1225; Folio 118; Page 9

(All census references are copyright of TNA.)

Could Clara really have been living alone?

Geoffers

Schedule 49 shows your Clara J BRIDGE, aged 11, a scholar. She is inhabiting 1 house.

Note that no relationship is given to head of household. The census records who lived at an address on a particular night.

So in 1881, it would seem that Clara was the only person who stayed at no.49 on 3rd April - but does not necessarly mean that she was permanently living alone.

The next question then being where were her parents? - At work? Visiting someone/somewhere? In an institution such as an asylum, hospital, prison?

RobinC

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    Schedule 49 shows your Clara J BRIDGE, aged 11, a scholar. She is inhabiting 1 house.

Note that no relationship is given to head of household. The census records who lived at an address on a particular night.

So in 1881, it would seem that Clara was the only person who stayed at no.49 on 3rd April - but does not necessarly mean that she was permanently living alone.

The next question then being where were her parents? - At work? Visiting someone/somewhere? In an institution such as an asylum, hospital, prison?
    I've found a cirminal record for a Benjamin Bridge who received a sentence of 5 years for "Larceny as Servant" in Huntingdonshire on the 3rd of May 1879.

Huntingdonshire is within travelling distance of Ely, where Clara was born so it's a strong possibility that it's the same Benjamin.

I don't know where Lydia disappeared to but I think I have found her death in 1908 (Peterborough).

hepzibah

i think it was relatively common for young girls to be sent into service at 11 years of age, so perhaps her parents are at the family home waiting to collect her wages from her on her weekly visit.

RobinC

Quote Originally Posted by hepzibah View Post
    i think it was relatively common for young girls to be sent into service at 11 years of age, so perhaps her parents are at the family home waiting to collect her wages from her on her weekly visit.

That could be the case but it doesn't explain why Benjamin & Lydia disappear after 1871.

Incidentally, have you got any relatives called Hepzibah as I have a Hepzibah Fourniss (nee Lee) who was born in Shepreth, Cambs in 1852.

Reputation beyond repute

Hephzibah was a common enough name in the 19th century. It's biblical.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC
    I've found a cirminal record for a Benjamin Bridge who received a sentence of 5 years for "Larceny as Servant" in Huntingdonshire on the 3rd of May 1879.
    This old boy may be doing poridge in Gillingham, Kent - see RG11/896 f62 p10 (reference to census in TNA).

I don't know where Lydia disappeared to but I think I have found her death in 1908 (Peterborough).
    If it is your Benjamin in clink, perhaps his wife also lived on the edge of legality and was either simply avoiding the census; or perhaps was working at night?

This is merely supposition which is difficult to prove - maybe have a look to see if local magistrates court records exist for the area and if there is anything noted about Lydia (and possibly Benjamin)?

RobinC

Thank you Geoffers, although it doesn't confirm their whereabouts, it gives me avenues to explore!

If Lydia was "working" at night, would she not have been on the later censuses?

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC
    If Lydia was "working" at night, would she not have been on the later censuses?
    Maybe - maybe not.

Did she remarry?

Did she revert to her maiden name?

Did she use an alias?

Is she recorded in later census returns just by her initials?

Did she emigrate?

Is the census for where she was living damaged/destroyed or just missing?

There could be many reasons for someone not appearing in a census under the details you expect to find.

Geoffers

PS - Is that your Lydia in Mile End, London in 1901?

RG13/329 f143 p23 - Dempsey Street, Mile End Old Town
    Lydia BRIDGE, visitor, widow, 66, laundress, bn Melborne, Cambridgeshire
    (Others shown at same address)

Original Census in care of TNA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast