ianrichardson

Default Information re old Assizes

I guess I've just achieved "full status" in family history circles by identifying the relative who has been transported, to Van Diemen's Land, but I want to verify and find out more, so ......
    How can I access information about the trial at Kent Assizes in 1841? Is this available anywhere?
    Thanks for the anticipated help.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Records of the assizes are held at the National Archives, Kew.

You could start by reading this research guide. Follow the links in it to see what records survive. None of them are online. You will have to visit Kew or have someone go on your behalf.

Another option may be to see if there was a report of the hearing in a local newspaper. Try the British Library's 19th Century Newspapers archive. Google for the paysite, or you may get free access via your county/borough library membership.

Geoffers

The National Archives web-site is always a good place to start with anything unfamiliar to you.
    Start at their web-site

They have loads of research guides

and also research signposts

There's a guide on researching criminals in the 18th, 19th and 20th century - do read it

Which has a link through to a guide on Assize records and also this guide on Assizes: Criminal Trials 1559-1971

This research signpost may also give some ideas.

Try a search of TNA's catalogue to see if your chap was taken ill in transportation.

In the word or phrase field enter his surname
    Restrict the year range
    In the department or series code enter ADM101

Note also that there are various Australian sites which will provide information on him once he arrived; I'm sure that one of our members from there will be able to provide detailed advice.

Edit - see Kerrywood's reply, above - she types quicker than me

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    Edit - see Kerrywood's reply, above - she types quicker than me
    But Geoffers includes much more information.

Hugh Thompson

Hi Ian, if you go to the Archive Office of Tasmania
    Index to Tasmanian Convicts (address below) you should find some info.
    Good luck.
    Hugh.

https://portal.archives.tas.gov.au/menu.aspx?search=11

ianrichardson

Thanks a lot. I guess I'm going to have to drag myself down to Kew, as there's a lot of (other) things that I need to check there.

ianrichardson

There's so many helpful and knowledgeable people .... worldwide.
    Thanks.

jammy40

I don't know about the information of the trial at Kent.
    I have a G.Grandfather who was a convict, transported to VDL for 15 years. There is a huge amount of information about convicts on line.
    On line I have found his charge and sentence from the Old Bailey in 1839, the name and description of the prison hulk he spent a year on. Also I have the name and description of the convict ship he was transported to Hobart on plus his complete description in case he ran away. He tried to on many occassions.
    There is his offences and sentences records ( all original) on line as well.
    What was your rellies name and do you know what year he may have been sent out to VDL?
    Cheers,
    Allan