silverdigger

Default Pumford and Reynolds in the Broseley area

I would really like to contact anyone who is researching Pumfords (various spellings) and Reynolds families in the Broseley area.

In particular I am looking for information on William Pumford who married Hannah (?) Hannah is living with her daughter, also called Hannah (b abt 1806 Broseley) in Wolverhampton in 1841 which provides her birth year of around 1766.

On daughter Hannah's marriage certificate her father is given as William. I found a William Pumford bap Nov 1764 St Leonards Broseley who fits the bill, but I can't find a marriage for him and Hannah (1766) or a birth for daughter Hannah (1806), but there is a birth for Thomas Pumford Apr 1803 in Broseley and I think he may be Hannah's (1806) brother.

Judging by Hannah's age (1766) this would mean she gave birth to son Thomas when she was abt 37, so I think there are possibly children born earlier but so far I have been unable to find them.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hannah (1806) went on to marry John Reynolds in 1821 St Leonards Broseley.

Many thanks

janbooth

Looking at the 1841/51 census records, there are a couple of PUMFORD families in Benthall (which is more or less next door to Broseley), i.e. an Abraham and Thomas both of whom are Bargemen and look to be a generation later than your William. I notice that John & Hannah REYNOLDS had a son named Abraham in the 1841 census so perhaps an indication that there was an Abraham in Hannah's family somewhere. There is a baptism on Family Search Pilot of a Mary POMFRET at Benthall on 22 August 1790 parents William & Hannah - could this be a sister to your Hannah perhaps?

By the 1851 census, Hannah REYNOLDS is a widow and gives her date and place of birth as 1811 and Madeley, Shropshire so perhaps you should widen your search to Madeley as well.

I think you will have to consult the parish registers to look for your Hannah's birth and for a marriage of William & Hannah her parents. The LDS have filmed the parish registers of Broseley, Benthall and Madeley so you could hire the films to view in situ at your nearest Family History Centre.

Good luck

Janet