Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ewan

I don't know where to start with this, Tolly and Geoffers you have both worked extremely hard with helping me with the Cooper family.

Thank you Geoffers for your fantastic piece of detective work in finding out that the Phoebe Cooper from 1881 was the mum of Alice. I did find the 2 marriages of Phoebe Cooper as you have mentioned, it doesn't look like she chose the correct husband to be in George Adolphus Reed lets hope she had better luck with William Cowle in 1894.

With the 2 children with the surname of Reed you have kindly found on the 1901 census I feel confident that this is the correct family I have been looking for from the 1881 census.

I did find a baptism of an Alice Eliza Cooper daughter of a Phoebe Sarah Cooper (no dad mentioned) in 1866 Ryde, but her actual birth does not seem to be registered.

Thank you very much once again for your time, now I have confirmation that this is the correct family from the 1881 census that is all the information I need regarding them, but the information I may need help with next is only information from the birth registration so may be more difficult.

Ewan

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by ewan
    I did find a baptism of an Alice Eliza Cooper daughter of a Phoebe Sarah Cooper (no dad mentioned) in 1866 Ryde, but her actual birth does not seem to be registered.
    Pity about the birth being one of those not registered. I wonder if the age recorded for Eliza A REED in the 1871 census was a deliberate attempt to put her birth after the 1865 marriage and so possibly hint at the identity of the father?

Perhaps the cleric at the baptism was particular in how he recorded entries? Have you looked at the original register for the baptism, or is this from the mormon web-site? - Does the register of baptisms by any chance record her age or date of birth? - or provide any marginal notes as to the identity of the father?

ewan

Geoffers

I agree that could of been a possibility about the age of Eliza A Reed on the census. The baptism I found of Alice Eliza Cooper was from the mormon site.

Many thanks
    Ewan

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by ewan
    I agree that could of been a possibility about the age of Eliza A Reed on the census.
    It is just a passing thought which may be incorrect; but much of the fun of research is trying to think out who did what, why and when.

The baptism I found of Alice Eliza Cooper was from the mormon site.
    It is an excellent aide to research; but if you get the chance it may be worthwhile checking the original register to see if there are any notes in the register; if you are unfamiliar with what you might get (if you are lucky) click on this thread for some examples. The majority of registers just have the basic detail, but then again you might be in luck.

ewan

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    It is just a passing thought which may be incorrect; but much of the fun of research is trying to think out who did what, why and when.
    That is a big question I have Geoffers, I know it was an Alice but why and when. Gradually I am chipping away at this brick wall if only I was a fly on the wall back then.

Thanks for that link, it did give me a chuckle. I don't get the chance to look at many parish records, but when I do I find my eyes wandering to look at other records as they are full of interesting things.

Ewan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12