dancingmaples

Default Were all London area Jacobs Jewish?

Hi, I'm back again on this site. I had been researching my husband's genealogy, starting with his grandparents whom I was told were Annie White and David Jacobs. Aha...wrong couple, thus wrong family tracing. Too bad because I traced the entire line. Anyway, I'm back again with the correct names: Annie Elizabeth White and Alfred David Jacobs. In tracing the Jacobs of this particular man, it doesn't appear that they were Jewish, at least up until the last ancestor I could find, who was a James Jacobs. It appears the family were baptized & married in C of E, St-George in the East, Stepney. But with James Jacobs (born about 1823, died 1897, there doesn't seem anymore info. I cannot find his baptismal records but the censuses have him being born around 1823, St George in the East. And I cannot find a church burial record but the civil record says he died 3Q 1897. So I cannot find any church references to his birth and death and that has me thinking now...could he have been Jewish? But he married Jane Battle Lane in St-Thomas, Stepney (C of E), Feb 25, 1844. His father was a James Jacobs as indicated on his son's marriage registration.

So, I'm back to the question: Were all Jacobs Jewish, at least at one point. I'm sure they were but I'm trying to determine if this particular line was Jewish and then converted. Does anyone know if this happened much? And does anyone have any info re this particular Jacobs line. Many thanks. Lynn

Reputation beyond repute

And I cannot find a church burial record but the civil record says he died 3Q 1897.
    Nor you will. In 1897 someone from Inner London would not be buried in a churchyard but in a cemetery.

Were all Jacobs Jewish, at least at one point. I'm sure they were
    I'm pretty sure that they weren't because you can find church records of the surname JACOBS dating from before the Jews were readmitted to England during the Commonwealth period.

dancingmaples

Ok, thanks very much. My questions are answered. Lynn