Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smale

andysmale

Default Smale

Hi,
    I am trying to find any relations to my late father Archibald William Smale, born 17th April 1916 in Barnstaple, Devon and died 26th March 1989 in Basingstoke, Hampshire.
    His father was Archibald Smale, born 1891 in Yarnscombe, Devon and died 1985 in Barnstaple, Devon and his mother was Mary Ann Hill, born 1896 in Barnstaple, Devon and died in 1953 in Birmingham.

I am stuck on the parents of George Smale, born 1831 in Wear Gifford, Devon and died in 1898 in Devon.

Can anyone help?

Thomasin

Quote Originally Posted by andysmale View Post
    I am stuck on the parents of George Smale, born 1831 in Wear Gifford, Devon and died in 1898 in Devon.
    The parish records collection on FMP has George Smale baptised 21st October 1832, parents John and Catherine. John was a hatter. The baptism took place at Bideford, which is near Wear Giffard. Any help?

Thomasin

There seem to have been rather a lot of John Smales, but this might be the marriage of the couple above: John Smale and Catherine Elliott, married at Bideford 27th May 1830.

andysmale

Thankyou for your help, I understand that another person on ancestry web page has got George,s mothers first name as Ruth but no surname. as im a little new to this sort of thing what is the FMP?

Thanks again

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by andysmale View Post
    Thankyou for your help, I understand that another person on ancestry web page has got George,s mothers first name as Ruth but no surname. as im a little new to this sort of thing what is the FMP?

Thanks again
    FMP = Find my Past
    They appear to have got the Name Ruth off a census entry in 1841 for a George Smale br Devon 1830 living in Abbotsham
    She apears to have died 1845-Bideford-Mar 1845-10-51 a death cert may help if she was a widow, it may contain a spouses name. She could also have been a single mother, there is a baptism for a Ruth Smale-Weare Giffard 4 May 1783-parents Edward Smale and Ann would have made her around 45 at the birth of the George Smale on 1841 census, bit old but not impossible at all

Marriage cert for George will give you a fathers name and occupation
    George Smale-Eliza Young-March 1858-Torrington -Devon 5b-743

Quote Originally Posted by Thomasin View Post
    The parish records collection on FMP has George Smale baptised 21st October 1832, parents John and Catherine. John was a hatter. The baptism took place at Bideford, which is near Wear Giffard. Any help?
    THis is most probably the Catherine br cr 1809 Bideford Devon married to John Smale brb c1808 Hatherleigh Devon -Hatter on census's from 1841 living in Surrey, no child George on any census from 1841 so maybe deceased.

Thomasin

Well spotted, valg.

andysmale

Default George Smale born about 1831 in Wear Gifford,

Hi many thanks for your help everyone I am very greatful for your time.
    I meant to have put Barnstaple as where Archibald died.
    The information I have is,
    My father was Archibald William Smale born 17th April 1916 in Barnstaple, Devon and died in 1989 in Basingstoke, Hampshire.
    his parents were;
    Archibald Smale born 29 Sept 1891 in Yarnscombe, Devon and dien April 1985 in Barnstaple, Devon
    Mary Ann Hill born June 1896 in Barnstaple and died in 1953 in Birmingham.
    Archibalds parents were;
    John Smale born June 1859 in Huntshaw, Devon and died in Barnstaple, Devon
    Elizabeth Smallridge born 1856 in Huntshaw, Devon and died 1932 in Tawstock, Devon.
    Johns parents were;
    George Smale born about 1831 in Wear Gifford, Devon and died Dec 1898 in Devon
    Eliza Young born 1838 in Wear Gifford, Devon and died March 1874 in Devon
    Other children of George and Eliza were, Edward Smale 1862 Huntshaw, Devon, Elizabeth Smale 1865 Alverdiscott, Devon
    Sarah Smale 1868 Alverdiscott, Devon and Lucy Smale 1870 Alverdiscott, Devon.

Thats as far as I know apart from a comment on ancestry about Georges mother being 'Ruth' 1791 - 1845.?

Once again Many thanks for all your help and your time.

Nicolina

on the 1841 Census (HO107/242/6 Page 7) for Clifton, Abbotsham there is a Ruth, born about 1791, a female Servant to the Cole family. Also listed with them is George SMALE, born about 1830, an Ag Lab.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast