Thread: Tennant Farmers

robsnicta

Default Tennant Farmers

Some of my ancesters were tennant farmers. Does anyone know if there is a way to find when a farm tennancy began?

Reputation beyond repute

What sort of tenancy? What years and locations are you talking about? If you mean a customary or copyhold tenancy, see the Manorial Documents Register for the location of any surviving archives.

Starting to feel at home

I would suggest contacting your local archives office and getting their advice; I think tithe records would contain the names of your ancestors. They may tell you differently.
    Godo

Agricultural leases usually ran from eithe r Lady Day (March) or Michaelmas (September). As others have said the only record would be in the estate papers of the landowner. If you know where the farm was situated you should ask the Record Office local to that place if they have records of local estates and landowners. Then you can see if they have any records for the farm that your ancestors leased.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Knowledgeable and helpful

If your people were tenants in the period 1781-1832, then you might find the Land Tax Assessments of help. These are usually in county record offices, and were kept as alternatives for electoral purposes. Informative ones list the proprietors (owners) occupiers and taxes due by year, so you can see when they begin to pay and when they moved on or took on more fields. However, sometimes the taxes had been paid ahead and so the record is much less informative. pw