Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RosieM

Default Herbert James Drake

Known later as James Drake b abt 1789 in Mitford Norfolk; Can anyone enlighten me with any info on him/his family line prior plz?

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by RosieM
    Known later as James Drake b abt 1789 in Mitford Norfolk
    How have you managed to narrow the birthplace down to this particular Hundred?

Any idea whereabouts in Mitford Hundred?

Did your chap survive to the 1851 census? - If he did what is the reference?

Any idea of an occupation for him (or his children)? - this will help to establish what sorts of documents may be worth trying.

RosieM

Hi
    I sent for the wed cert for my Gt Uncle Walter Drake b abt 1906 wed in Yarmouth to my Gt Aunt on the other side Isabella Price.
    They wre staying in the Temperance Hotel (Hostel?) there. Gave his father as James Drake Gen dealer. On tracking James and the young Walter I found Him with a wife Delia (which my cousin thought it may have been deirdre as she recalled) They were living in a caravan and he was a horse dealer. So I think Ive the right people. Said born in Norwich for both.
    On the census it said James Drake on one page...and Herbert James on the front cover (so I assumed he was indeed Herbert prefering James? This may have been where I got mitford from but cant be sure off top my head. I then found the wedding to one Delia Harris . And now I would like to know where Herbert came from etc of course. Hope this helps..Many thanks

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by RosieM View Post
    Known later as James Drake b abt 1789 in Mitford Norfolk; Can anyone enlighten me with any info on him/his family line prior plz?
    Hi
    I sent for the wed cert for my Gt Uncle Walter Drake b abt 1906 wed in Yarmouth to my Gt Aunt on the other side Isabella Price.
    They wre staying in the Temperance Hotel (Hostel?) there. Gave his father as James Drake Gen dealer. On tracking James and the young Walter I found Him with a wife Delia (which my cousin thought it may have been deirdre as she recalled) They were living in a caravan and he was a horse dealer. So I think Ive the right people. Said born in Norwich for both.
    On the census it said James Drake on one page...and Herbert James on the front cover (so I assumed he was indeed Herbert prefering James? This may have been where I got mitford from but cant be sure off top my head. I then found the wedding to one Delia Harris . And now I would like to know where Herbert came from etc of course. Hope this helps..Many thanks
    Are the dates perhaps mistyped? James b. 1789 is the father of Walter b. 1906?

Hi
    On tracking James and the young Walter I found Him with a wife Delia (which my cousin thought it may have been deirdre as she recalled) They were living in a caravan and he was a horse dealer. So I think Ive the right people. Said born in Norwich for both.
    If you are referring to images that you've looked at on the 1911 UK census (Piece 11505, SN 173 - Crown copyright in care of TNA), then James is born c1879 Norwich, Walter is born c1910 Guist, and it says Herbert on the cover, not Herbert James.

To work back properly, assuming the 1911 census reference is the family you know are definitely your ancestors, buy this birth certificate:

Walter Drake
    Quarter/Year of Registration: Dec 1909
    District: Mitford
    Vol 4b, Page 237

If the parents are Herbert/James Drake & Delia Harris, then buy this marriage certificate, which will give you the name and occupation of the groom's father:

Herbert James Drake (another name on the page is Delia Harris)
    Quarter/Year of Registration Dec 1905
    District: Norwich
    Vol 4b, Page 441

indexer

By chance I have a Herbert James Drake at Wingfield Road Cambridge 1904 on my Black Sheep index. Is that his son?

RosieM

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleE View Post
    If you are referring to images that you've looked at on the 1911 UK census (Piece 11505, SN 173 - Crown copyright in care of TNA), then James is born c1879 Norwich, Walter is born c1910 Guist, and it says Herbert on the cover, not Herbert James.
    Hi Adele, Im a bit confused (nothing new and im sure I confuse everyone too:-( Does that mean that the front cover ie Herbert is someone else? Or indeed The first name of James who details are printed on the other page? Couldnt find any details of a Herbert on there. I assumed after doing my home work: finding that Herbert James Drake marrying Delia Harris Dec 1905 Norwich 4b 441 and the fact their first son was named Herbert that it was almost a certain match. My cousin remembers the family horse dealing. His name is given as the groom dad as James on the wedding cert though. But I suppose if my Walter had only heard him called James/Jim from young, him and the reat of the family wouldn know much different...What say you?

RosieM

Im not sure what the black sheep index is? Obviously I know what a black sheep is...Why is he on it? Has he done something wrong?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast