Thread: Will Question

terrysfamily

Default Will Question

I have taken out the names and value of the money to protect anyone living. Although it was from the 1930’s and all parties are well and truly dead.

My cousin has found a will on ancestry for my great grandmother. He has sent me in text to my mobile what he says it says.

It has my great grandmothers name, date of death, abode and where the will was administered. It says she left the money to her daughter, wife of son in law. That is it.

If it is possible? to send for a copy of the will, would it have any other information on it or would it just say what Ancestry has.

Also, dose anyone know of a site that does money conversions? I.e. how much was left in the will in the 1930’s into today’s value?

Oh yeah, and please and thank you. Mustn’t forget my manners

Terry

Reputation beyond repute

It has my great grandmothers name, date of death, abode and where the will was administered. It says she left the money to her daughter, wife of son in law. That is it.
    I'm afraid you're misinterpreting the National Probate Calendar entry. This is an index. It does not include details of bequests.

As you won't give us the details we can't look at it but I suspect that what you've found is not a will at all but an administration and the name shown is that of the person who was given the right to administer the estate. If there is money to be distributed, the administrator has to distribute it in accordance with the law regarding intestacy.

Brick wall demolition expert!

My impression is that the information you have is from the National Probate Calendar on Ancestry and not the will itself. For wills proved after 1858 you can obtain a copy from the Probate Service at First Avenue House, 42-49 High Holborn, London. See here.

Also see post#2 of this thread for general information on wills.

This is the currency converter I use.

National Archives Currency Converter

terrysfamily

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    I'm afraid you're misinterpreting the National Probate Calendar entry. This is an index. It does not include details of bequests.
    Ahhh my cousin didn't tell me it was just an index, he told me he had found the will on Ancestry, I'll just have to him.

As you won't give us the details we can't look at it
    You can have the information willingly. It's for;

Mary Jane Drayton died 06 Mar 1932 of Penywern, Clun, Shropshire. Administration Shrewsbury 27th July 1932.

Terry

terrysfamily

Thank you very much ollieca for the information you have given. now to do some currency converting.

Thank you again.

Terry

Reputation beyond repute

It's an administration. There is no will. Dorothy Mary Beddoes was the administrator and had the job of winding up the estate. The administrator would not necessarily get anything out of the estate but, as a daughter, the intestacy laws would mean that she probably would get a share.

You already know who Dorothy Mary Beddoes was so I doubt if there's any point in obtaining a copy of the administration.

With the Probate Calendar, look for the magic words. If it says "probate" there was a will. If it says "administration", there was no will.

terrysfamily

Thank you very much Peter. There are a lot of things I know nothing about, probate and administration are just 2 of them.

It's an administration. There is no will. Dorothy Mary Beddoes was the administrator and had the job of winding up the estate. The administrator would not necessarily get anything out of the estate but, as a daughter, the intestacy laws would mean that she probably would get a share. .
    I hope that she gave some to her estranged sister in Canada.

With the Probate Calendar, look for the magic words. If it says "probate" there was a will. If it says "administration", there was no will.
    I'll pass that little titbit of 'Probate' and 'Administration' on to my cousin.

Another day older and now a little bit wiser.

Thank you again.

Terry

Name well known on Brit-Gen

As Peter says, there's unlikely to be much gained from seeing the grant of administration.

But it should provide an address for the grantee in 1932. Researchers sometimes find such information helpful in tracing "lost" descendants, though of course it may not apply in your case.

terrysfamily

You're right Kerrywood, Mary Jane was living with her daughter Dorothy and Dorothys husband Samuel when she died in 1932 at Pen-y-Wern. Dorothy died in Clun Hospital in 1938 of TB but she was still living at Pen-y-Wern until she was admitted to hosspital. Samuel lived there until his death in 1945.