MarkG

Default Charles Gregson married Selina ?

Dear Forum,
    I found a thread from John C Booth that relates to family members in my family tree. There was a marriage of Charles Gregson (born 1825) to Selina ? (born 1826) in Stoke upon Trent in 1843.
    Does anyone have more leads on the family prior to this generation?
    Thanks to all in advance.

MarkJ

Can't see the marriage you mention on FreeBMD. There is a marriage in 1843 (in Stoke on Trent)for a Charles Gregson, but the lady in the same entry is a Sarah Love. (Sept qtr, 1843 vol 17 page 162)

Is this the one you mean?

georgiep

Hi Mark and welcome to the forum.
    1851 census has Charles Gregson, wife Selina kiddies Henry, Ann & Leonard.
    Problem here is they were living in Leics and all born Leics, Blackfordby.
    No connection to Staffs, sorry.
    Henry 7 his birth is listed in Ashby de la Zouch, Leics.

georgiep

Jan1954

Hello MarkG - welcome to Brit-Gen,

The thread to which MarkG refers is this one, but I see no mention of the 1843 marraige.

However, a copy of the birth certificate for one of the children should provide Selina's maiden name and thus help to identify her and move backwards.

MarkG

Thank you MarkJ for your post. I am in Australia and was doing the research here but I had question marks against the marriage as I wasn't 100% sure. It seems it was the wrong Charles Gregson. The children are indeed Henry, Ann, Leonard and then Josiah and 3 more children after that. They were living in Blackfordby, Leicestershire and not knowing England in detail, I didn't know how far Stoke upon Trent was from here. Thank you to georgiep for your help and thank you to Jan1954 for the birth certificate hint. I am from the descendants of Josiah and he travelled to Australia to marry here and have some children, then travelled back to Swadlincote, Derbyshire and had more children there and then back to Australia and had more children here again. Thank you all.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I wonder if this could be the marriage you're looking for?

From FreeBMD ...
    Dec Qtr 1844
    GRYSON Charles
    Ashby de la Zh vol 15 page 3

Also on the same page, a Selina BUSON.

Perhaps Gregson was mistranscribed in the index as Gryson.

Also, BUSON may be a mistranscription of BEESON. In 1841 there is a Selina BEESON, 15, a servant to Charles HUNT (butcher), living in nearby Church Gresley.
    HO107/191 bk 5 folio 10 page 15 (reference to record held by TNA).

Do be aware that when ordering a certificate from the GRO you must use the spelling exactly as given in their index -- even if you suspect it is wrong -- or they will not produce the certificate.
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 13-12-2010 at 9:26 AM. Reason: addition

georgiep

GR8 find Kerrywood in the light of the birthplace for Henry and his age in 1851 census.

georgiep

georgiep

Hi Mark
    There's a baptism for Selina Beeson in familysearch IGI 1826 Ticknall Derbyshire which is her birthplace in later census.
    Also included are Elizabeth, Mary & Amy daughters of Humphrey and Dinah.
    Josiah is 4 in 1861. 1871 has other kiddies you mentioned, Fanny, George and Arthur.
    Error sent to Anc for Selina's incorrect birthplace.
    Your Josiah still there aged 24 in 1881.

For the peeps he's back in 1901 with his wife & some of the kiddies born in New South Wales.
    Oooo I'd love someone so interesting in my tree!!

georgiep

georgiep

Lo 'tis me again
    IGI has a marriage of Humphrey Beeson to Dinah Mason 23/4/1820 Ticknall Derbyshire.
    I won't spoil your fun Mark but they are in 1851/61 census. Humphrey still alive in 1881.
    Transcribed as BERSON in 1841 census Leics.

georgiep

MarkG

Thank you Kerrywood for cracking a major stumbling block and to georgiep for your thorough follow-up. You aren't taking away the fun but allowing me to piece it all together.