Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    DELILAH

Default living on a ship,

hello, i wonderd if someone could find some information on a ship or maybe its a boat, my ancesters married 31st october 1841 at the time the street address was hms ocean, on the isle of sheppy bluetown occupation of the grt grt grandfather was seaman john dorgan i have googled hms ocean but theres a fair few that come up and im completly confused i just wold like to find out what sort of ship it was and why the grt grt grandparents lived on it any info wold be appreciated .liz,

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I believe Graham has the answer Delilah. Possibly the Brides address wasn't clearly reported.
    An example of an early marriage there is :

320 1843 10/01 By: B
    AUSTEN, Robert Glover of HMS Ocean (Seaman) S of Edwd. (Excise Man)
    TILLY, Charlotte of Bluetown, daur, of James (Bricklayer)
    Witnesses: Thomas Wilson, Rebecca Watkins
    Taken from this site.:.

https://
    freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~puxty/coastguard_marriages.htm
    Other intersting info there as well.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Nicolina

according to Wikipaedia:
    HMS Ocean was a 98-gun second-rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy, launched from Woolwich Dockyard on 24 October 1805. She was the only ship built to her draught, and designed by Sir John Henslow.

She was converted to serve as a depot ship in 1841, and was eventually broken up in 1875

see:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Ocean_(1805)

DELILAH

thank you that sounds interesting ., on the marriedge it just has john dorgan seaman married to frances lee, dughter of john lee cordwainer street adress hms ocean , this was from a cd of bmds on the island, liz

DELILAH

hello, yes thankyou thats the family , thay do have 3 different ways of spelling the last name its confusing , i even found his death as dorgin and not dorgan ,

busyglen

This is an odd one. I tried to help Delilah earlier via another route, and found the transcription of the marriage between John Dorgan and Frances Lee. The record definately said: John Dorgan of HMS Ocean (Seaman) son of John (Magister?) could possibly be Master? and Frances Lee of HMS Ocean, daughter of John (Cordwainer).

I was confused by Frances giving the address as HMS Ocean, but have since wondered (as this entry was a transcription) if this was copied in error from the address of John? I searched for the HMS Ocean, and found the one most likely for this period, was the one found by Nicolina. I am now of the opinion that the address from the transcription is incorrect, but I do not have access to the original.

Glenys

Nicolina

Magister is Latin for Master or Teacher.
    I was wondering about Frances' father being a Cordwainer (Shoemaker). Maybe he was also associated with the Navy, making and repairing shoes / boots.

busyglen

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolina View Post
    Magister is Latin for Master or Teacher.
    I was wondering about Frances' father being a Cordwainer (Shoemaker). Maybe he was also associated with the Navy, making and repairing shoes / boots.
    Thanks for that piece of information Nicolina, I didn't know that.

Glenys

DELILAH

very interesting, i was wondering is there a possibility someone could find out where of if john lee worked on the ship i have no street adress for him maybe he had his own place or worked from home

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by DELILAH
    i was wondering is there a possibility someone could find out where of if john lee worked on the ship
    Difficult in looking for someone called John LEE on account of the name occurring so frequently.

Searching TNA's catalogue you get these John LEEs in ADM29 (RN) and these in ADM157 (RM) The two entries in ADM159 are born too late, there are these entries in ADM73

Working on the premise that Frances was born about 1816 (as per 1851 census, above), then you may be able to eliminate some of those named in the above links.

Have a look at the TNA research guides - click here - for other ideas on where you might find information at TNA.

Paul Benyon's web-site is excellent for the 19th century RN - looking at the information about HMS Ocean I doubt very much that your chap would have worked on the ship.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast