Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What regiment?

rocket118

Default What regiment?

I am searching through an ancestors army service record and I would like to know what, perhaps, a certain entry reads from it.

He was in the 6th Dragoon Guards in 1858 and then an entry for the year 1865 says "Re-engaged to 10 G.C and went to Cork, Ireland, to a place I cannot read!

Entries for his pay range from 2,3,4.

Many thanks to anyone who could throw light on this please

Geoffers

What's the name of the chap so we can look at the record and may possibly be able to assist?

As a shot in the dark, does the place name look anything like 'Ballincollig'?

rocket118

No, it doesn't Geoffers. His name is Sergeant George Munford, born 1837, Croydon, England. I found his pension record on FIND MY PAST.COM the other day.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by rocket118
    He was in the 6th Dragoon Guards in 1858 and then an entry for the year 1865 says "Re-engaged to 10 G.C and went to Cork, Ireland, to a place I cannot read!

Entries for his pay range from 2,3,4.

Many thanks to anyone who could throw light on this please
    Okedoke, the record form WO97/1747/184 (refers to record held in TNA)

1st Royal Surrey Militia - Allowed half the embodied service of 364 days to reckon to regular service

6 D Gds - Attested Private - 3 July 58
    Promoted Corporal - 3 Oct 58
    Recd 1d G.C. Pay - 4 Aug 1860
    Promoted Sergeant - 18 Jany 65
    Entd to G.C.pay 2. 4 Aug 1865
    Re-engaged at Cork to complete 21 years service - (16?) Sept 67
    Entd to G.C. Pay 3 - 4 Aug 1870
    Entd to G.C Pay 4 - 4 Aug 1873

D.Gds = Dragoon Guards
    Recd = Received
    1d = 1 penny
    Entd = Entitled
    2 = 2d (2 pence per day)
    3 = 3d
    4 = 4d

Note that there isn't a place name after Cork, the record merely shows re-engagment to complete time to pension.

rocket118

Fantastic! Thank you so much, Geoffers. What does the G.C mean for G.C. Pay?

Geoffers

Sorry, missed that one.

GC = Good Conduct. (A bonus payment to basic pay)

rocket118

Thank you again, Geoffers.

What other records may I find about George, now? Would a trip to the National Archives to view Muster and Pay Rolls highlight any other information, for example, on this pension form it said he spent two and a half years in the East Indies.

Also, how do I use the photobucket feature on the this forum as there are other words that I need clarifying?

Geoffers

What other records may I find about George, now? Would a trip to the National Archives to view Muster and Pay Rolls highlight any other information, for example, on this pension form it said he spent two and a half years in the East Indies.
    For a description of Muster an Description Books see this TNA research guide

Also, how do I use the photobucket feature on the this forum as there are other words that I need clarifying?
    This thread describes how to post photos via photobucket.

You can simply put photos on Photobucket (with the usual caveat about not breaching copyright, or breaching licence of use) and post the URL here.

Assuming it is the same service record, what bits are you stuck on?

rocket118

Thank you for the photobucket help. The other bit is "Intended Place of Residence" - Do you think it says "With family, Dean Street, Norwich"

Also on a previous reply from you when it said "Cork to Complete 21 years Service", I noticed at the bottom of the page his total service was 18 years, 148 days

Geoffers

Thank you for the photobucket help. The other bit is "Intended Place of Residence" - Do you think it says "With family, Dean Street, Norwich"
    With (.....?) Dun Street, Norwich.

After 'with', the first letter of the next word has a similar form to the capital N of Norwich; but I think it may be a letter M; there may be a letter 'i' towads then end of the word; but with a limited amount of this handwriting to go on, it is difficult to be more precise.

There wasn't a Dean Street in Norwich - though there was a Dean Side Terrace.
    There was a Dun Cow Yard and also Dunns Yard in Norwich.

Also on a previous reply from you when it said "Cork to Complete 21 years Service", I noticed at the bottom of the page his total service was 18 years, 148 days
    Although he enlisted to complete 21 years, he was discharged for being medically unfit in 1876 before he had completed his time.

His total service was 18 years 148 days, but note also that he was allowed to included 182 days of his militia service; which is why his length of service for G.C.Pay and Pension is slightly longer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast