SBSFamilyhistory

Default Why two surnames on a marriage

I understand why this happens and the person is female.. a previous marriage... but what about when the person is male.

I wondered if it showed that he had been adopted.. can anyone confirm this or suggest some other reason...

Thanks

Sue

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by SBSFamilyhistory
    I wondered if it showed that he had been adopted.. can anyone confirm this or suggest some other reason...
    I know of one instance where a male child's parents died and he was bought up by a maternal aunt, result was the male child used both surnames and his marriage certificate shows both surnames. This was in the last decade of the 19th century and was extremely helpful in furthering research on behalf of someone else.

Other cases I have come across are where there was illegitimacy and where a father died at a young age and the mother remarried, result being a child who grew up using both surnames; also where a child was born illegitimate and the parents subsequently married - child grew up using both names.

One assumes that those evading the Law and using an alias to that ends, wouldn't be stupid enough to then provide the authorities with his correct name as well as the alias.

busyglen

I don't know what sort of time you are looking at Sue, but obviously more recent, you get a double-barrelled name when a female gets married and decides to add her surname to that of her husband. If they had a son, obviously that would carry forward, so could this possibly be why? Obviously you would be able to check that by going back to the parents, but that's the only thing I could think of.

Glenys

SBSFamilyhistory

Glenys that would have happened if Dave and I had had children.. my surname being Burrows Simpson

I cannot give the full name because I think they will be still alive.

The listing is the same as those where a divorced/widowed woman remarried

The wedding took place in 1987

I will use initials

DDG married GPS AKA GPC

I would love to know which of the surnames was used after marriage but I guess finding that will be quite hard.

Sue

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by SBSFamilyhistory View Post
    My paternal grandfather has two surnames on his marriage certificate. One is the same as his father's. The other is his mother's maiden surname, which he chose to use throughout his adult life in order to align himself with his mother after a family dispute.

His mother's surname is the one carried forward by descendants. Such things are sent to try us.

SBSFamilyhistory

I have looked at briths using both surnames and combinations of the two, but it would appear that they haven't had any children....

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by SBSFamilyhistory
    DDG married GPS AKA GPC
    I would love to know which of the surnames was used after marriage but I guess finding that will be quite hard.
    If the couple had children the mother's maiden name should be apparant in the GRO births index - provided of course you aren't looking for names which occur very frequently.

SBSFamilyhistory

no the brides surname is not that common... the name having something to do with Angels at Christmas.. lol

Reputation beyond repute

If you get the certificate, the answer will be clear. Two male surnames usually means an alias. The reason for the alias needs research.