Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NicolaPicken

Default Carr, Emma & Elizabeth, Shropshire

If anyone can help me find any further info about Emma Carr, born: circa 1851, newport Shropshire, had one daughter that I know of: Elizabeth Carr, born: Circa 1872, i'd be really grateful. Listed as single in 1881 (RG 11/2681/24/41). Im new to tracing my long lost relatives, so don't quite know how to trace this section of the family back?

All I know so far Elizabeth Carr married Thomas William Picken in 1854, Newport, Shropshire, but wanted to trace this side further back if I could.

Reputation beyond repute

Elizabeth Carr, born: Circa 1872
    First thing to do is to obtain that birth certificate

Births Jun 1872
    Carr Elizabeth Newport, Sh. 6a 846

If that looks like your ancestor, order the certificate from GRO using the particulars above.

Elizabeth Carr married Thomas William Picken in 1854, Newport, Shropshire
    Have you got the certificate? I can't actually spot it in the GRO index.

NicolaPicken

No haven't got any certificates yet (have only been researching for 2 weeks) just collecting GRO's at the moment to do so when funds allow lol x

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by NicolaPicken View Post
    All I know so far Elizabeth Carr married Thomas William Picken in 1854, Newport, Shropshire, but wanted to trace this side further back if I could.
    I'm finding this a little confusing. The only Shropshire marriage I can see on FreeBMD for Elizabeth CARR and Thomas PICKEN is in 1913, which doesn't seem to fit with what you say.

So that we can try to help you along a bit, can you please tell us what your starting point is for this family?

It's best to begin your research with the latest documented fact, such as a parent's or grandparent's birth and/or marriage certificate. Then move backwards from that point, proving each find with a document and supporting it with a census return, where possible. Otherwise it is all too easy to find you are tracing the wrong family, which is not a situation that any of us wants to be in.

NicolaPicken

Hiya, the marriage did take place in 1913 (sorry put the wrong date!!)

What I have so far is that Thomas Picken and Elizabeth Carr are my great grandparents. Can't go back further on the Picken side whilst im waiting for certificates to show his parents, as can't really track him back without his mothers maiden name which I cant seem to find at the moment Their children are Ronald (b 1914) & Hubert Picken (b 1918) - My grandad is Ronald. Im unsure whether there are any other children?

I've ordered some certificates, so Im not going to get all confused, and hopefully they will be here soon, fingers crossed, desperate to get started on the family roots.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Glad to hear the certificates are in the pipeline. Waiting for them is always hard!

When they arrive, do let us know what they say, and if you need any help just ask.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by NicolaPicken
    What I have so far is that Thomas Picken and Elizabeth Carr are my great grandparents. Can't go back further on the Picken side whilst im waiting for certificates to show his parents
    Although there are/were lots of PICK(E/I)N(G)s in Shropshire - if you evenutally trace your line back to Mary PICKEN, a farmer from Oaken Gates, Shifnal in the 1841 census HO107/909/11 f30 p14; do let me know as she was an ancestor of my wife.

NicolaPicken

I will remember that, the certificates need to hurry up, I can't wait to start tracing!

FredP

Hi Nicola, We have already been in contact through 2 private messages I received and to which I replied (about Esther Beresford who married Thomas Picken). Have you seen this? I looked at this thread because I had been unsure whether it was Elizabeth Carr who Thomas Picken married. I think I will be able to supply all the links between the two Thomases and most of their siblings. I also have a wedding photo of Thomas William's sister Esther Annie given me by her granddaughter from whom I got some of my information. I will communicate again as soon as I am able to collect all these details, but you have my e-mail address in the other communication, Regards, FredP.

FredP

Default Carr, Emma & Elizabeth

Follow-up to yesterday's posting by FredP.
    Thomas Picken b c1756 m Esther Berrisford 1 Jan 1780 Newport Salop. He d there 5 Aug 1844; she d there
    5 Sep 1848. I have their death certs. Marriage from Newport Parish records, as are following baptisms - .
    Sarah Picken 20 Aug 1786. I believe she was the one who married Samuel Cobb 3 Sep 1807.
    William Picken 25 Dec 1789. My g-g-grandfather. Married Ann Causer nee Bucknall 8 Feb 1810 Shifnal.
    Richard Picken 21 Dec 1792. I am sure he married Elizabeth Griffin 21 Sep 1818 Shrewsbury.
    Ann Picken 5 Jun 1795. Mary Picken 15 Apr 1795. John Picken 9 Jun 1805, and d 4 Jun 1810.

Elizabeth Griffin bapt 21 Dec 1794. The children of Richard & Elizabeth are on next posting. Elizabeth must have died c 1855 as Richard married again, probably Emma Jane Storey in Sept qtr 1856.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast