PLeavett

Default LOOKING FOR A BIRTH IN ST.BRELADE JERSEY

I would like to find the birth details of Louisa Elizabeth Le G. Dodd b: 1854 in St. Brelade, Jersey.
    Her parents were Thomas Henry Dodd b. Birmingham Gunmaker and Louisa Thompson Haselden(dau.of my 3X gr. grandfather's sister)b. Bethnal Green. They had six children who were born in various parts of U.K. and Ireland. In 1861 Thomas was recorded as Foreman @ Royal Small Arms Factory.

I have always wondered at Louisa's name...in particular the Le G. part which sounds very Channel Islands. Can anybody tell me what the Le G. stands for? Or -who was she named after I wonder. Does anyone have access to birth/christening records? - don't need actual birth certificate as not on direct line, tho' the actual date would be appreciated for our tree. She retained the use of Le G., right up until her death and was recorded as Louisa Elizabeth Le G. Jones(married name) so it was obviously important to her.

I look forward to ideas and any info that could be supplied...
    Thank in advance - Pamela

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Pilot searh has the birth of an Elizabeth Gallienne Dodd 29th Dec. 1858 Guernsey,Channel Islands Father George Dodd
    Mother Rachel Le Tulie
    batch no.I02949-4

Could they be connected?

The only Louisa Dodd they show is age 7 yrs on 1861 census c/o FMP
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Had a quick look on Ancestry both Families appear in censuses but haven't matched them up. George Dodd is the son of George & Elizabeth. Father & son both shoemakers.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Thomasin

A rough guess, and not backed up by any evidence except that I saw it the other day used as a middle name of a relation - could the 'Le G' be 'Le Gros'?

Loves to help with queries

there is some info on derivation of surnames on this site. It may be of general interest to you.
    www.
    guernsey-society.org.uk
    Last edited by AdeleE; 25-11-2010 at 12:54 AM. Reason: direct link to commercial website removed - please read AUP

Stewart Hill

Hi

There is an entry in the index for St Brelade Births - 19th Sep 1850 to 25th Nov 1866, page 33, for Louisa Elizabeth Le Gresley Dodd.

Le Gresley is quite a common surname in Jersey.

I can look at the birth certificate next week (when the snow has melted).

Stewart

PLeavett

Thank you for finding that birth record Stewart - I would bet that is her!
    Her father Thomas Henry Dodd was a Gunmaker - he and his wife Louisa (nee Thompson Haselden)moved around a lot. There was also a child born in Ireland as well as 1 in Essex(father probably at Royal Small Arms again) and 2 in London and the last one in Birmingham. I have seen a posting that indicates there was a Royal Artillery Barracks in Jersey - so perhaps that was why they were in Jersey C.I. Probably accounts for the birth in Ireland too.
    I really wonder who the Le Gresley is though, because her mother was born in Bethnal Green and her father in Birmingham. Wonder if it was a midwife or neighbour that helped?
    Please don't go to too much trouble - I saw pics of England on T.V. tonight -I live on west coast of Canada- you sure did get the snow!
    But - if you do find anything further I will be thrilled...
    Thank you again
    Pamela

Stewart Hill

Hi Pamela

Just to let you know that Louisa Elizabeth Le Grelsey Dodd was born 12th Dec 1853. Her father was Thomas Henry Dodd, a Sergant Armurier and her mother Louisa Haselden.

Stewart

PLeavett

Stewart - Thank you so much - you are brilliant! That is her...registered with her mother and father. It is an added bonus to see her father's position in the Army, which agrees with what we knew of him as a Gunmaker. Can I just confirm the spelling of the name - is it Le Gresley or Le Grelsey? I think I will also try to find some info on this family.
    Thank you again
    Pamela

Stewart Hill

Hi Pamela

The most important thing, and I spell it wrong!!!

It's Le Gresley. Sorry about the typo.

Stewart