barbie

Default SQUIRE RADCLIFFE, WHAT IS THEIR PROPER NAME?

Hope someone can help. My grandfather Fred Radcliffe was married to Harriet Jackson in Oldham. Fred's father has Squire Radcliffe on all the census. Squire was born about 1836 in Ovenden, Yorkshire. Squire's wife was Sarah Ann and thinks her surname was Morrison, she was from Norfolk. I also think Squire's father was John Radcliffe married to Grace. I have a marriage certificate of my Grandparents Fred and Harriet Radcliffe hoping it would give fred's father real name but it has Squire on it. I don't have a birth certificate of Fred's has I am not sure his definite birth year cos as you know in all the census the years are slightly different. Fred was born in Bacup, Halifax etc so was all his brothers and sisters apart from the three youngest. so the problem is, how do I get the right birth of Fred, my grandfather and how do I find the proper name of my great grandfather. they all moved to Oldham after the 1881 census. I really would appreciate help. many thanks

Lizzy9

Hi Barbie,

I imagine Squire WAS his actual name, Squire was not an uncommon given name back in the 1800's, particularly in Yorkshire.

The igi has this baptism: Squire Radcliffe born 13/4/1835, baptised 7/6/1835, at Sowerby Green Old Chapel Independent, Sowerby Near Halifax, Yorkshire, parents John and Grace.

barbie

Thank you so much for that..can you help again please, in the 1940 census. i found squire radcliffe with his parents John and Grace but also notice that there are squire and John jnr with the same age and richard and martha with the same age. could they have both been twins as I can't find John jnr with the same birthdate as Squire. also can you figure out what their Father John Radcliffe profession was as I am so hopeless in understanding the writing from them days. Hope I am not asking too much. thanks

Lizzy9

John was baptised in 1833, Martha 1830 and Richard 1828. I think John's occupation says Huller.

How certain are you that you are following the right family? I would approach with caution until you have facts supported by certificates or other documented evidence.

There's other Squire Rad(t)cliffe's born Halifax around the same age in 1841, one is age 5 with parents Thomas and Elizabeth, another age 4 with parents Squire and Mary.

To be certain you are following the correct ancestors you do need to prove each stage backwards.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by notanotherminer View Post
    In the 1861 John's occupation is correctly transcribed as Woolen Cloth Fuller
    As a by the way, a cloth fuller was the person who removed the oils (lanolin) from wool - usually with a detergent such as fuller's earth. This process had to be gone through before the wool could be mordented and dyed. The mordent, which was used to "set" the dye, could be alum, copper or similar and also had an effect upon the outcome of the dye that was used, producing a very dark or pale effect.

(I studied textiles about a thousand years ago..... )

barbie

Thank you all. I do think I am on the right track but taking caution tho till I get certificate. I suppose on somethings I will have to take a chance on paying and could be the wrong one but could be worth it in the long run. thank you again everyone

Lizzy9

Quote Originally Posted by barbie View Post
    . Squire was born about 1836 in Ovenden, Yorkshire. Squire's wife was Sarah Ann and thinks her surname was Morrison, she was from Norfolk.
    Hi Barbie,

Please can you say why you think Sarah Ann's surname was Morrison?

Lizzy9

Me too, Graham. And also indexed on that page is a Grace Hallos.

Lizzy9

Also I can't find an appropriate birth in Norfolk for a Sarah Morrison, nor can find her on early censuses.

Lizzy9

Yes, and there's another marriage on there for Robert which I noticed.