Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Kirsop variants

Hi,
    During my research into my Kirsop ancestry in the Northumberland/Durham region, I've come across a number of variants regarding the spelling of this surname. Mostly spelling is as above, but Kirsopp is regularly used, I've seen Kirsup and Kirsupp before and I've even come across a fourth generation Kirsop whose ancestor emigrated from Northumberland to South Africa and after time, German introduction into his ancestry and also probable misspellings, his surname is now Kershoff. I've only once encountered a Wilkenson Kirsop (brother of my g.g.g grandfather Thomas Kirsop) and I'd reckon this to be the guy you're looking for.

strawberrymivvy

Hi Big Acme

Good to hear from another relative! Edward Kirsop is my 5 x great grandfather via Thomas/Joseph/Henry Wood/John William Victor/Irene/Moira Greaves then me

I have a young family so haven't touched my research in well over a year, but am keen to get back to it. Would be happy to share any Kirsop info I have with you, maybe between us we can hammer out a definitive line! My up to date tree is on Ancestry (also Strawberrymivvy) if you wanted to look at it on there.

I would guess that "Common Crook" is near Crook, Co Durham, so the same general area as Waskerley/Shotley etc. Both sides of my family come from that part of the world, and I'm convinced there is a link prior to my own parents' marriage but not proved it yet... One day!

Hope to hear from you soon

Quote Originally Posted by Big Acme View Post
    Hello Strwberrymivvi. Just joined this evening and immediately spotted a possible distant relative and thought I'd drop by to say hi.
    I'm a descendant of Kirsop lineage also, namely Edward Kirsop/Ann Kirsop/Isabel Tate->Thomas Kirsop(brother to Wilkinson)/Isabella Robson->Thomas Marshall(died 1853)/Judith Kirsop-> Thomas "Marshall"?(illegitimate birth 1860)/Mary Elizabeth Brantingham->Harry Marshall/Elizabeth Whiteside->Samuel Marshall/Ella McClure->ME!
    Wondered if anyone knew the location of Sir William's Lodge, or Common Crook (presumably in the Shotley Bridge general area)? As Thomas Kirsop lists his birthplace as Low Waskerley, I'm guessing this may be another clue.
    Best regards
    Big Acme

If you look at other words on the page, the "s" are quite small. There's defintely a "k" there. I'm not sure whether the last vowel is a "u" or a "o", though.
    At that time, spelling of surnames wasn't really that standardized, it could still be the same family.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Hello "Cousin" Strawberrymivvy

Good to hear from you too!

Although my kids are all grown and left the nest, as a relatively young (55 year old) grandfather of 7, I fully appreciate and remember how the time for genealogy will not be so easy for you.
    It would be great to swap notes on our research, so feel free to contact me. I did visit Shotley Bridge as it's only a few hours from Glasgow and I managed to get a photo of my great great grandmother (your greatx3 aunt) Judith's home at Backstone Burn, although their homes at Snow's Green and Wood Street have been demolished, which is a great pity.
    Much time in my research was spent trying to uncover "the culprit" in my great grandad's (who I have several photos of) illegitimate birth. I do have copies of Judith Kirsop's marriage cert to Thomas Marshall (Snr) at St. John's at Westgate, Newcastle and Thomas Marshall's (Snr) death cert, aged 31 of phthisis (tuberculosis), leaving Judith a young widow with three daughters Mary, Judith and little Isabella (who also succumbed to T.B. the same year as her father). Judith seems to have had 3 kids after Thomas Snr's demise, Sarah Jane, Margaret and my great grandfather Thomas. Although no father's name is listed on his birth cert, I had my yDNA taken and it is a VERY close match to that of the Phillips family standard yDNA. At the time of my great grandfather's birth, the census shows there was only one Phillips family in Shotley Bridge, a fairly wealthy married farmer, John Phillips. Although it will never be 100% guaranteed, it looks very much like he was Judith's clandestine lover.
    I do know Thomas concealed his illegitimacy when he married Mary Elizabeth Brantingham (a strongly quaker family) by submitting Thomas/Deceased in his "Father's name" section of the marriage cert. There are still many mysteries about Thomas Snr and Judith, but I don't want to overload you with information/questions.
    p.s. If you google Aussiemandas, you'll be directed to Cheryl, yet another of our Kirsop line in Australia.
    All best
    B.A.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrymivvy View Post
    Hi Big Acme

Good to hear from another relative! Edward Kirsop is my 5 x great grandfather via Thomas/Joseph/Henry Wood/John William Victor/Irene/Moira Greaves then me

I have a young family so haven't touched my research in well over a year, but am keen to get back to it. Would be happy to share any Kirsop info I have with you, maybe between us we can hammer out a definitive line! My up to date tree is on Ancestry (also Strawberrymivvy) if you wanted to look at it on there.

I would guess that "Common Crook" is near Crook, Co Durham, so the same general area as Waskerley/Shotley etc. Both sides of my family come from that part of the world, and I'm convinced there is a link prior to my own parents' marriage but not proved it yet... One day!

Hope to hear from you soon

Settling in

Hi Big Acme

I would love to make contact with you as I am a Kershoff descendant and I think your 4th gen Kirsop ancestor might be my elusive Progenitor!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Kristol relative

Hello Boyd 7337,
    I'm always happy to hear from "cousins" and if I can be of any help, please just let me know.
    Best regards

Settling in

Hi,

I am looking for John Edward Kersop, baptised Warden 14 November 1784. Father given as John.

There is a family story that he was a ships carpenter and somehow ended up in South Africa where he married Maria Jooste in 1824.

Any info on him you might have will be much appreciated.

Boyd 7337

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Boyd 7337,
    Have you ever been in contact with a Ruaan Kershoff? He is descended from your ancestor who ended in South Africa, as indeed where Ruaan resides. I've not been in touch with him for a long time (my gang of grandkids has increased to 11 now and much of my "free" time is not my own) but I will see if I still have an e-address for him. My earliest confirmed Kirsop is Thomas born 1772, either brother or cousin to John Edward (both John and Edward names were used commonly amongst Kirsops so I will need to check my records to see if the 1884 date ties him directly with mine or not).

Settling in

Hi,

Yes Ruaan is my cousin. I did my own research on the Kershoffs as part of my 4 direct lines from each grandparent. I am trying to trace John Edward's parents and find out how he ended up in South Africa.

Boyd7337

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12