Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    strawberrymivvy

Default Help with Handwriting

Hi

Would appreciate any comments on the birth entry for John, baptised March 15th.

I am looking for an entry for John Robson Kirsop(p) in Hamsterly, Co Durham in 1825, born to Wilkinson and Ann Kirsop(p).

Now I would say it's fairly clear it says Wilkinson and Ann, but I'm not sure whether the surname is Kirsop or Kirkup, which is another fairly common name in that part of the world.

Just seems to me that with the unusual father's name of Wilkinson it should be the right person...

Name well known on Brit-Gen

After enlarging & demagnifying, then using a glass it looks to me very like ' Kirksop '.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

strawberrymivvy

It definitely looks like there's the upward stroke for the "k", maybe it's a case of the curate himself wasn't sure!

JohnN

I would vote for 'Kirkup' - it looks as though the clerk corrected the original writing and went over the U a number of times to (theoretically) make it clearer. As you say though, there shouldn't be too many couples with just the right christian names - and who's to say that the surname in the register was correct?

strawberrymivvy

I'm working backwards in the records, back to 1819 so far and not found any sign of a marriage for a Wilkinson and Ann, of any surname!

Maybe this is an occasion where I will have to just make an assumption

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Admitted, if the name IS 'Kirksop', the O is very large.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Jolly Roger

Wilkingson Kirsopp was married in Heighington Co Durham

15 May 1824 Wilkinson Kirsopp = Ann Robson

JR

strawberrymivvy

Thanks Jolly Roger, I see the transcripts for these years are missing from the Durham records on Family Search - sod's law! Given your information I found the details on Durham Records Online, is there anywhere else I can see an actual transcription?

Notanotherminer, that is a pretty big coincidence! I guess it really is a small world - and particularly so in the 1800s! I have Robsons on both side of my maternal line, not worked it out exactly but I suspect there was a connection well before my grandparents married. Perhaps you and I will yet prove to be related!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello Strwberrymivvi. Just joined this evening and immediately spotted a possible distant relative and thought I'd drop by to say hi.
    I'm a descendant of Kirsop lineage also, namely Edward Kirsop/Ann Kirsop/Isabel Tate->Thomas Kirsop(brother to Wilkinson)/Isabella Robson->Thomas Marshall(died 1853)/Judith Kirsop-> Thomas "Marshall"?(illegitimate birth 1860)/Mary Elizabeth Brantingham->Harry Marshall/Elizabeth Whiteside->Samuel Marshall/Ella McClure->ME!
    Wondered if anyone knew the location of Sir William's Lodge, or Common Crook (presumably in the Shotley Bridge general area)? As Thomas Kirsop lists his birthplace as Low Waskerley, I'm guessing this may be another clue.
    Best regards
    Big Acme

Hatshepsut

I've enlarged it and peered through a magnifying glass and the closest I could guess would be KIRSUP
    There doesn't seem to be a second 'P' at the end. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast