dick27da

Default Henry John Jones & Henrietta Maria Barnett

Henry & Henrietta were my maternal grandparents. Family legend has it that Henry spent time in India
    but all my relatives are no longer with us except for my sister (who knows very little).

I have a photo of Henry in military uniform date unknown. Henrietta was born in Tuticorin (1869) where
    I beleive her parents were advisers to the local ruler. She did in Ashford (1908) immediately after my mother
    was born. Henry also spent time in South Africa (dates unknown) but one of his daughters was born in
    Durban at the end of 1893. As his first daughter was born in Ashford at the end of 1891, his time in S.Africa
    must be between mid 1892 and early 1897 (4th daughter born Ashford at end 1897)

If anyone has knowledge or advice that will assist in extending my knowledge of Henry John I would like to
    hear from you. - dick27da(at)googlemail.com - will find me.

Dick Harding

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by dick27da
    Henry & Henrietta were my maternal grandparents. Family legend has it that Henry spent time in India.....I have a photo of Henry in military uniform date unknown.
    Acknowledging the difficulty in finding an individual JONES record for a name which occurs so frequently, have you been able to identify a military record for your chap? (either on 'ancestry' or 'findmypast')

Do you have birth certificate(s) for any children which should record the dad's occupation?

When Henrietta died, was her husband's occupation recorded in the death certificate?

Any useful records in amongst the overseas births and marriages available on 'BMDregisters' (or via 'TheGenealogist')

For India - try the Friends in British India Society (FIBIS) and its web-site and also the India Office family history search