Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Richard1955

Great photo Mutley.
    It may have been Heysham or Liverpool if you were going to the Isle of Mann.
    They say that you had to remove your battery and drain your fuel tanks to go to the TT races.

Mutley

No!
    the photo was taken boarding a ferry to Ireland in the early 1950s. We were ''on route" to Tipperary.

I did not go to the Isle of Mann TT races until the l960s and then, not in a old motorbike and sidecar and not with my parents!!!

Kevin Garrad

Quote Originally Posted by rik-jones View Post
    Many thanks Jan
    I'm sure your right as I have used the Steam Packet Company many times myself
    and some of the vessels must be as old as 1920's.
    That's downright unfair!! ;-)

IoM Steam Packet runs 3 vessels:

Ben-My-Chree - built 1998
    Snaefell (Fast-Cat) built 1991
    Mannanan (Fast Cat) built 1998

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Gotta love a Man who knws his 'boats'.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Kevin Garrad

I used to live on the Isle of Man; my fianceé and her family still do!
    At this moment, there's a Manx flag on my desk!!

Used the boats a few times.

Mother-in-law-to-be won't fly, so the family use them all the time.

spison

Interesting picture Mutley. Can't say we've ever had anything like that in Oz!

Jane

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by spison View Post
    Interesting picture Mutley. Can't say we've ever had anything like that in Oz!

Jane
    These days I suppose the ferries are all 'drive on, drive off' but back then it was a crane that lifted the vehicles on.
    Heath and Safety Inspectors would probably have nightmares if it was allowed now.

Richard1955

The vessels from Liverpool have improved alot in the last 10 years and I have used them many times
    but I have also sailed from Heysham to IOM to the TT races and been on very old boats.
    I think one of them was built in the 30's. Perhaps they bring out the older vessels for the increased business.

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by rik-jones View Post
    The vessels from Liverpool have improved alot in the last 10 years and I have used them many times
    but I have also sailed from Heysham to IOM to the TT races and been on very old boats.
    I think one of them was built in the 30's. Perhaps they bring out the older vessels for the increased business.
    Even the old boats must comply with all the regulations and, believe me, they are very strict these days. Every passenger carrying ferry must pass a yearly MOT and has a long list of safety requirements that need to be fulfilled. They are subject to spot checks at any time.

It is not so easy and does not make economic sense to 'bring out' an old vessel because, that old vessel has to be maintained in the same way as their other passenger vessels. I would be very surprised to find an old pre war vessel able to pass the necessary regulations required today without extensive alterations at a huge cost.

Kevin Garrad

Of the Steam Packet company's pre-war boats, 3 of the 5 were sunk during WW2 (2 at Dunkirk), 1 was scrapped in 1965, and the other scrapped in 1971.

So you could NOT have travelled on a 1930's boat in recent times!

Of the 6 boats built between 1946 and 1955, all were decommissioned between 1962 and 1982.

There were 4 side-loading car ferries, 2 decommissioned in 1984, one in 1990.
    The last of these, Lady of Mann was sold to a Greek ferry company in 2005. Lady of Mann was built in 1976.

Six RO-RO ferries were built between 1966 and 1979, and were in service between 1981 and 1998.

So, you were most likely to have been on the Lady of Mann, built in 1976, refit 1989.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast