eshersmith

Default Manners Colliery Ilkeston

Any information on Manners Colliery colliery please.
    Granddad was a "butty" there but I know nothing about it

Thanks

Jan1954

Hello esh - welcome to Brit-Gen,

Have you had a read of the Ilkeston and District Local History Society webpage about the mining industry in the area? The Manners Colliery is mentioned therein:

https://www.
    ilkestonhistory.org.uk/Brief%20History%20of%20The%20Coal%20Industry.htm

Famous for offering help & advice

Manners Colliery was located where the Manners Industrial Estate in Ilson is now - at the top of Manners & Manor Roads.
    If you would like a scan of the colliery area from a large scale 1937 map PM me.

Mitch

eshersmith

Thank for your replies. I did know what a butty was and their reputation. Granddad employed most of his relatives but he was still very unpopular because he was reputed to rob them all !

I have seen the site https://www.
    ilkestonhistory.org.uk/Brief%20History%20of%20The%20Coal%20Industry.htm and I was hoping for some personal information but I appreciate that it closed a long while ago . My cousins wife who is 90 worked for Granddad at Manners but he is very deaf now and sometimes I wish I could turn back the clock. I would have asked a lot more questions than I did do about family affairs, My dad also worked for Granddad but he did not say a word against him.
    Last edited by Jan1954; 19-11-2010 at 7:04 PM. Reason: url edited - they have items for sale

eshersmith

Thanks Mitch I would like that if you could but I am new to this site so how do I PM you

Just click on my name (in blue) on this post - a box will come up - just click `private message` in that box.

eshersmith

Cheers Mitch

I have done that

Have emailed you.

Mitch

Reputation beyond repute

See D H Lawrence eg Sons and Lovers for a good description of the butty system and of pay day.

eshersmith

I am a great fan of DH his books based on the area around where I came from are great. Shame he is remembered so much for LC Lover, although that is a classic as well