Thread: Tarr mystery

eshersmith

Default Tarr mystery

John Tarr born in Mansfield about 1783 married in Blandford Forum to Elizabeth Carter in 1808

My question is, it is about 230 miles why would he go there and how did he get there ? I cannot find any forces records !

Any Ideas

Thanks Esh

Mutley

Moved this thread from Surname Interests to General Family History as threads on the Surname Interests Board are closed.

Quote Originally Posted by eshersmith View Post
    John Tarr born in Mansfield about 1783 married in Blandford Forum to Elizabeth Carter in 1808

My question is, it is about 230 miles why would he go there and how did he get there ? I cannot find any forces records !

Any Ideas

Thanks Esh
    There are many possible reasons. People travelled more than we think.

One reason is obviously for work. Landed gentry often had more than one property, so that even aglabs would sometimes move to another part of the country whilst still working for the same employer. One of my husband's ancestors travelled from South Wales to Castle Rising in Norfolk to enter service. I later discovered that the vicar of Castle Rising had been a curate in Cardiff and had presumably been instrumental in getting her the job.

If they were a bit higher up the social scale, then remember that London was "the marriage mart" and people went there for the season from all over England. Once engaged, the actual marriage would often then take place in the bride's home parish.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by eshersmith
    John Tarr born in Mansfield about 1783..........I cannot find any forces records !
    Have you been able to eliminate this chap? Although he may well be the same old boy who appears in WO97/212/23 (reference to document held at TNA).

Perhaps the TARR family originally came from the SW and moved for a short while up to Mansfield where John was born before returning to Dorset? - Any settlement examinations, removal orders in either county which help to clarify things?

Was the marriage by banns or licence?

Knowledgeable and helpful

The Tarrs in my family came from the Tiverton area.

eshersmith

All of the Tarr's did not live in one part of the county in the early 1800s , that is obvious. John Tarr was born in Mansfield and his family came from around that area. We went down to Dorset to search and found his marriage and he married a local girl and then brought her back to Mansfield. They lived at Blandford and I understand large fire destroyed a lot of the town and the record that were in the church. I cannot find what is occupation was at the time but it said he was a resident of the town at the time. The record office said there was a lot of troops stationed there at the time but we could find no records regarding that either. I love the name Tarr, it is an affectionate name for a sailor so I suppose originally his family did come from coastal parts, perhaps even Tiverton. But I think surnames where established before well before 1800.

Thanks Esh

eshersmith

I have eliminated this record from the TNA, I have seen it before on another site and he came from wrong place. This chap was from Birmingham

They was married by banns

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by eshersmith
    I love the name Tarr, it is an affectionate name for a sailor so I suppose originally his family did come from coastal parts, perhaps even Tiverton. But I think surnames where established before well before 1800.
    Surnames have been around for a long time, a lot longer than the beginning of the 19th century.

Rather than thinking of the surname as having originated from an ancestor who went to sea; you might consider it as a locative surname (i.e. a name derived from a place).

georgiep

Hi, not sure if he's your John Tarr ?
    1851 census born Mansfield Notts living in Mansfield
    sorry can't read address, John 69 is getting parish relief former occupation ??
    daughter unmarried Henrietta 25 frame work knitter bn Mansfield
    Hannah dghtr unm age ?? seamer of hose bn Mansfield
    baby Wm g/son.
    HO107/2124/206/15

georgiep