Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Name Change

omegaguy

Default Name Change

I can track my grandfather, Edward Hope, back to the 1891 census, from there however he seems to disappear. There is a possibility that he might have been born with the surname Owen,and there is an Edward Owen that I can find listed as been born in Gateshead in 1872, which seems to be about right. What I want to know is it possible to track a name change such as this? I'm about to e-mail the registry office in Gatehead to see if they can be of any assistance, but any help anyone on this site can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Geoffers

There remains no requirement to go through a legal process to change name; any change of name may come about just through use.

Name changes sometimes occur as a result of an illegitimate birth either in the generation in question, or earlier. These can sometimes be tracked through census, records of marriage and birth and parish registers. Is there any trace of a marriage of Edward OWEN's parents, possibly after Edwards birth?

Occasionally there are officially recorded name changes, a good place to look for these is The London Gazette - though with surnames such as OWEN and HOPE, I think it may take quite a while to identify such an entry.

This TNA research guide deals with changes of name.

Reputation beyond repute

What does it say on Edward Hope's marriage certificate?

Don't forget the possibility that his name may have changed because of his mother's remarriage.

omegaguy

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    What does it say on Edward Hope's marriage certificate?

Don't forget the possibility that his name may have changed because of his mother's remarriage.
    I Haven't been at this for long so I don't have any his marriage certificate as of yet. As to his mother's remarriage, so far I haven't been able to find any evidence of that. I do have access to Ancestry .com through a local library, so going to do some more investigation this morning.

omegaguy

After doing some more research this, this is what I’ve turned up. I have not been able to find the hope family in the 1881 census; or the Owen family in the 1891. However, the similarity in Christian names and ages between the two, are remarkable. Listed below are the members of the two Families.
    1881 Census
    Thomas Owen, father aged 50
    Priscilla Owen, mother aged 42
    Joseph Owen, Son aged 13
    Francis A Owen Daughter aged 10
    Edward Owen Son aged 8
    Thomas William son aged 4
    Thomas Son aged 15
    Hannah Owen Aged o

1891 Census
    Thomas Owen Not listed
    Hannah Hope Widow Head
    Joseph Hope son aged 24
    Francis A Owen Daughter Not listed
    Edward Hope son aged 18
    Thomas Son aged 15
    Hannah Owen Aged 9

As You can see the similarities are more than just coincidental. Besides that I can find no marriage between a Thomas Own and someone with the Christian name Priscilla, but did find a listing on freebmd in 1869 with the names Hannah Milburn and Thomas Owen, not absolute proof but adds even more to the list of coincidences. At present have not been able to track down the date of Thomas Owen’s death, or what happened to Frances; could have been out, working away, dead or married, I suppose, but haven’t been able to turn up any proof on the last two. Had hoped to hear back from someone I made contact with in the Gateshead registry office, but no luck so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by omegaguy; 19-11-2010 at 10:18 PM. Reason: formatting

Lizzy9

1871, Heworth, Durham. RG10 Piece 5048 Folio 39 Page 28 (Crown copyright, in car of TNA)

Thomas Hope 30
    Pricilla Hannah Hope 30
    John Hope 12
    Pricilla Hope 10
    Joseph Hope 3
    Frances Ann Hope 8 Months

In 1861 Priscilla is Priscilla Bell.

Lizzy9

1861, Eccleston, Lancs. RG9 Piece 2750 Folio 44 Page 10 (Crown copyright, in care of TNA)

Robert Bell 27
    Priscilla Bell 22 Durham
    John Bell 3 Durham
    Priscilla Bell 9 MO Lanca

Lizzy9

Marriages Dec 1867, Newcastle on Tyne, 10b/73. Thomas Chapman Owen also indexed Priscella Hannah Bell (written as spelt in index)

Lizzy9

I am posting the 1891 as it's not quite as listed by omegaguy. RG12 Piece 4172 Folio 37 Page 25 (Crown copyright, in care of TNA) All youngsters entered as children of Hannah.

Hannah Hope 50
    Joseph Hope 24
    Edward Hope 18
    Elizabeth Hope 16
    Thomas Hope 15
    Hannah Hope 9

Lizzy9

And a complete 1881 as indexed. RG11 Piece 5039 Folio 22 Page 37 (Crown copyright, in care of TNA)

Thomas Owen 40
    Priscilla Owen 42
    John Bell 22
    Priscilla H. Bell 20
    Joseph Owen 13
    Francis A. Owen 10
    Edward Owen 8
    Elizabeth Jane Owen 5
    Thomas William Owen 4
    Hannah Owen 2 months

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast