Default SAMUEL ( ZANVIL) CRAWCOUR 1748-1816

For distant cousins and distant relatives via marriage to the Crawcour lines here is data which refers to the death of Samuel ( Zanvil ) Crawcour 1748-1816.
    One family story relates to Samuel coming to England to look for his estranged daughter Kitty ( Catherine) who had supposedly eloped. Some family trees had Samuel's dob and death as 1726-1813 while another had 1748-1816. It was difficult to understand why a middle age man would arrive in England in search of his daughter and then have several children in different parts of England. Kitty ( Catherine ) was in fact born in England and married Aaron Aarons and the family used the adapted surname Aaron ( they can be found in the various census records.

In 2007 I discovered the Hyamson record of Samuel Crawcour ( amongst other Crawcour records including the Colyer Fergusson records). This record was to prove very important because it was written in part Hebrew as well as English. It recorded the name of Samuel's father as Isaac ( no other dates or details were given). It also recorded the precise date of Samuel's death and his age. The records were from the Western Synagogue London ( I had mistakenly thought Samuel was buried in Norwich with his his son Barnett ).
    The Western Synagogue Records were destroyed WW2 but Hyamson had recorded these prior to his death in 1954 and pre WW2.
    The record read Cracowa which was deleted and replaced with Kracow and 'aged 68 d 21.11.1816'. The Hebrew script translated as 'Shmuel ben Yitzchak' -Samuel son of Isaac.
    The birth dates of Samuel suggest he married circa 1770 to Rebecca ( possibly a Levy but there is no proof of her family name). Rebecca died circa 1820-21
    We have no evidence of Isaac coming to England nor do we know the name of his wife ( my 6 x great grand parents) -Phillip

Default REBECCA CRAWCOUR -WIFE OF SAMUEL CRAWCOUR

There are several family tree websites which have the name of Rebecca Crawcour born 1755 Poland as the wife of Samuel Crawcour 1748-1816. Unfortunately, there is no record of Rebecca's dob nor where she was born and her family name is unknown.
    The information we hold on Rebecca is not detailed - she does appear in two records including the National Archives UK as part of the Sun Fire insurance records. The record shows:
    23 Russell Court Drury Lane Rebecca CRACOUR: other occupier ( Cook) book seller. 1817
    This date and location is important because her husband Samuel had died in November 1816. In 1822 Rebecca was no longer at the address.
    The evidence we hold suggests that Rebecca died in 1821 age unknown and burial data unknown. It is likely that there were Western Synagogue Records for her death but these were destroyed WW2 and the Hyamson; Colyer Fergusson and the several family trees I hold show no record of her death.
    The clue for the date of her death lies in the birth in 1821 of Ann Rebecca Crawcour daughter of David Crawcour son of Samuel.
    The Ashkenazi naming tradition is for a child to be named after the death of a relative. Ann was always known as Rebecca and she is my 3x great grandmother who died Sunday 1.12.1867 at Cornwall House Kennington Green wife of Aaron Hart.

The family name Crawcour does include derivations in Syagogue and other records and ranges from Cracour;Kracow; Kracower to the current Crawcour. As also stated in other postings the derivation of the South African CrawCour surname is also part of the Crawcour line.
    Phillip