MandyLou

Question What happened to 'Little Bertie'?

For a few years now, we have been wondering what happened to my great-great-grand uncle Herbert Sydney Reardon. He was born in 1904 to James Reardon and Maria Caroline Southgate in Rochford, Essex. He has always been left a 'dead-end' on the tree because no one knew much about him. According to my nan, her grandad (Herbert's older brother) said he knew he had a younger brother called "Bertie" but he never saw much of him.
    He is present in 1911, with his parents aged 7, and no marriage or death for him can be found. He is also present in a family photograph taken around 1911/1912 standing next to his father.

We have tried numerous things such as switching his names around, checking under 'Southgate' as a surname incase he changed his surname, but nothing has come up.

Can anyone shed some light on what I could do to find him?

Lizzy9

Hi Mandylou,

Could he have emigrated to Australia? There's a record from the Australian Cemetery Index for: Herbert Sydney Reardon, age 80, born 1904, died 1984, buried at Ulverstone/penguin Lawn Cemetery, Tasmania

Lizzy9

His spouse was Minnie, his children Michael, Malcolm, Sylvia.

Lizzy9

There's a Herbert Sydney Reardon listed in the Australian Electoral Rolls 1954, occupation Plumber.

Lizzy9

It is possible the Herbert Sydney above married in Wiltshire.

Marriage: Herbert S Reardon to Minnie Down, Jul-Sept 1929, Wilton Wiltshire, 5a/481

Lizzy9

The GRO birth index seems to have only one Herbert Sydney Reardon born circa 1904.

A Herbert Sydney Reardon born circa 1905 left the Port of London 26th Apr 1951, destination Melbourne, occ. Chem Plumber, sip's name Strathaird.

Last address in UK: 59, Windway Road, Victoria Park, Cardiff.

Lizzy9

Minnie Reardon travelled to Melbourne from Southampton 2nd Nov 1951, on ship 'New Australia', her last address was same as Herbert's. Minnie age 46 was accompanied by Michael J Reardon age 20, Sylvia P Reardon age 18, Malcolm S Reardon age 4.

MandyLou

Wow thank you all so much! I never thought of him moving out of the country!

I've told my nan and she is over the moon, she's never had all of her aunt's and uncles accounted for until now.

Would anyone happen to know how I could trace his children forward a little?

Thank you again!!

Mandy

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Herbert Sydney Reardon

Dear Mandy Lou,

Quite by chance I came across your enquiry about your great great-uncle Herbert Reardon. When I read through the answers, it was clear your enquiry was about my grandfather. All the facts are right. My mother is still alive as are his two sons, my uncles. I would be interested in any information you have, relating to my grandfather, and I would be happy to give you any information I have. Both of my uncles still live in Australia, one lives in Queensland and the other lives in Tasmania.
    Last edited by christanel; 10-09-2015 at 12:20 AM. Reason: names of living people deleted as per BG's AUP