Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    joboy

Default What do you think?

Robert Pantland born 1804 married Sarah Williams but had five children before they finally married 1st May 1845 at Hackney,
    Robert died 14th October 1846,
    Do you think that he married Sarah to legitimize the childrens births because they knew he was dying?.
    Joe

georgiep

Hi Joe
    I don't know. Perhaps he had been married before and was waiting for wife number one to die before he could re-marry??
    Have you found any bapitism for the kiddies at all?
    Sarah 8, John 7,Elzbth 5, Jane 2 in 1841 census.
    Both Sarah & Robt are 35 in census, yes their ages could have been rounded up.
    Good luck, I'm sure the folk here will find some more info for you.
    Warmies
    georgiep

Also Agnes bn 1843

Knowledgeable and helpful

Not unless he could see into the future.
    Marrying the mother of a bastard made no difference to their status until the Legitimacy Act, 1926.

Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

joboy

Quote Originally Posted by georgiep View Post
    Hi Joe
    I don't know. Perhaps he had been married before and was waiting for wife number one to die before he could re-marry??
    Have you found any bapitism for the kiddies at all?
    Sarah 8, John 7,Elzbth 5, Jane 2 in 1841 census.
    Both Sarah & Robt are 35 in census, yes their ages could have been rounded up.
    Good luck, I'm sure the folk here will find some more info for you.
    Warmies
    georgiep

Also Agnes bn 1843
    Thanks georgiep .............. only one child 'Jane (Amelia)' shows up in 'pilot search ......... I dont know whether this has any significance at all.
    Joe

joboy

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Etchells View Post
    Not unless he could see into the future.
    Marrying the mother of a bastard made no difference to their status until the Legitimacy Act, 1926.

Cheers
    Guy
    Hi Guy ....... always appreciate your input ........ perhaps I was being a little altruistic.
    Joe

georgiep

Guy we refer to little ones as 'Bedsteads' where I come from

georgiep
    can't find a winking smiley!!

Chipp'n'Dale

Quote Originally Posted by joboy View Post
    Thanks georgiep .............. only one child 'Jane (Amelia)' shows up in 'pilot search ......... I dont know whether this has any significance at all.
    Joe
    John Robert, Elizabeth Ann and Jane Amelia all show up on Ancestry's London Baptisms.

Chipp'n'Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Chipp'n'Dale View Post
    John Robert, Elizabeth Ann and Jane Amelia all show up on Ancestry's London Baptisms.
    Also Sarah Caroline (transcribed as Sarah Caroline Sandland - though clearly Pantland on the image)

You mention they had five children, but can't see reference to the fifth. If you post their name and approx. year of birth, I'll see if they are hiding there too.

jeeb

Hi Joe,
    Are you sure that Sarah Pantland on 1841 census is Sarah Williams? Robert Pantlands' children are born from about 1833. It is possible that Robert Pantland married twice, both times to a Sarah and Sarah Williams was his second wife? A birth certificate would prove this, it would need to be Jane's or a later child as she was the only one born after 1837.

Jeremy

Chipp'n'Dale

Quote Originally Posted by jeeb View Post
    Hi Joe,
    Are you sure that Sarah Pantland on 1841 census is Sarah Williams? Robert Pantlands' children are born from about 1833. It is possible that Robert Pantland married twice, both times to a Sarah and Sarah Williams was his second wife? A birth certificate would prove this, it would need to be Jane's or a later child as she was the only one born after 1837.

Jeremy
    Jeeb, I did wonder about that. However on the parish register it says he is a bachelor (not conclusive I admit).
    Interestingly, they give different addresses (bearing in mind that they've had 4 or 5 kids together and were shown together on the 1841 census). Also neither address on the 1845 marriage is the one they were at in 1841. It could almost makes me think they are different people, but it's not exactly a common name and there are no other obvious signs of two different couples.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast