Kavik

Default Church and Cemetery

Hello all,

This may be a longshot, but.....if a person lived on Clare Street in Nottingham in 1914, what church would they most likely have gone to (assuming of course they were Anglican) and what cemetery would be associated with that church or area in Nottingham - I had though perhaps Church (a/k/a/ Rock) Cemetery, but am not sure - no idea as far as what church.

Person I am trying to find the record of is as Dorothea Sophia (née Short) Brackenbury - died third quarter 1914 in Nottingham - last known address (from a 1914 directory) is 11 Clare Street. She typically went by her middle name so I suspect the record is under Sophia Brackenbury.

Thanks!

Reputation beyond repute

In the 1901 census, Clare Street was in the ecclesiastical district of St Mark. This information is from the free 1901 census index.

However, for 20th century burials it is usually most productive to contact the City Council Cemeteries Department in the first instance.

Kavik

Thanks - it's a bit frustrating; I've contacted several places and everyone seems to be "passing the buck/pound" - Do cemeteries have a separate department within the city municipal offices? I would think that I'd be able to find it quickly there rather than having to go through county archives.

Reputation beyond repute

I don't have any special local knowledge but it's easy enough with the help of Google to find Nottingham City Council's web site and to look up Cemeteries in their A-Z of services.

For example... Cemeteries - General - All enquiries should be made at Northern Cemetery, Bulwell. There's a phone number and email.

Personally, I would get the death certificate first so at least you know the exact date.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Cemeteries are civil burial grounds and are not connected to any particular church.

To find a burial in a cemetery the first step is normally to contact the cemeteries and crematoria department of the relevant council.
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

sheilastain

I certainly wouldn't be contacting Nottingham cemeteries unless you are forced. Their look up charges are ridiculous in my opinion. (£30 at the last enquiry).If you can get to Nottinghamshire Archives they have all of the parish records available although some don't go past 1900. I think that you will find that most burials in Nottingham took place at either the general cemetery or the church(rock) cemetery around that time. The Nottinghamshire archives have all of these records. There is also Wilford Hill Cemetery and crematorium for which no records are available other than via the Nottingham Cemeteries people so I would leave that until all others have been searched. Have a look at the Nottinghamshire Family History site because they have all sorts of records available to purchase which would also be a cheaper option.
    Hope this helps a bit.
    Sheila

Kavik

Thanks all - I suspect because of where she lived it's most likely Church/Rock Cemetery. I'm pretty sure I've e-mailed peopl ein the cemetery department (i.e. "for such and such a cemetery contact blah, blah, blah..."). Eveyone I've gotten a reply back from so far have all suggested Nottinghamshire Archives (who, I think directed me back to the city) . I'll give the archives another shot.

eshersmith

Only this week I wanted to know my Grandparents grave number at Ilkeston . I was transferred to the right number after phoning Nottinghamshire County Council. Because I had the dates of deaths of both Grandparents the search cost nothing. It costs only if there is a long search involved. I got a phone call with the details within an hour. Perhaps it might pay to get a death certificate before you get in touch with them.