Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gardner/Redding

Margaret1940

I appreciate all the trouble you are taking, many thanks

Geoffers

Lilians father was John Gardner, a general labourer from Kendal
    There is more than one census entry where a Lily/Lillian is shown as the daughter of John - are you sure that the 1901/11 census entries discussed in this thread relate to your Lillian who married in 1921?

The 1911 census has a John GARDNER living in Windermere (not Kendal, that's just the district) with a daughter Lilian Helena.

If this is defnitely the father of your Lilian who married in 1921, then he is shown as being born in Balsall, Warwickshire.

If this is the correct chap I would recommend searching the military records on the pay-per-view site 'findmypast'. Search for John GARDNER (exact spelling) who served in the Coldstream Guards. There should be two. Click on the one which has a question mark under year of birth and for whom no place of birth is recorded. There are 8 pages to view and page 8 is particularly informative.

As to your original question, about what happened to her, if she had any children; have you discounted the Sep 1920 birth of Harry REDDIN in Lancaster district. I know the spelling isn't quite right and it was before the marriage; but things don't always happen as they should.

Do you know when John GARDNER died? Did he leave a will in which his daughter is mentioned - or maybe her husband dad left a will mentioning them?

Margaret1940

The 1911 entry is definately right, Windermere is very near Kendal. I'm not sure when John Gardner died but Lilian was ostracised by her family when she had her illegitimate daughter in 1920. I will look into the military records. Many thanks

Brick wall demolition expert!

Do you have Lilian's birth certificate? I'm looking for her exact date of birth.

Geoffers

Adele - a militay record shows a date of birth as 7th Nov 1896 in London - bapt 23 Dec 1897 St.Mary the Virgin, Westminster; this also records Rose Winifred as being born 6th May 1898 at Chelsea; bapt 2 Oct 1898 Chelsea Barracks

Thanks Geoffers.

In mining the UK death index, this is the closest I can come to a death for Lilian:

Lilian Helena Jones
    Birth Date: 5 Nov 1896
    Reg Quarter/Year: Sept, 1978
    Reg district: Chatham
    Vol 16 Page 482

I found this obituary for Susan Reading/Redding on an Ancestry family tree called "Under the Goosebury Bush"

I feel certain that this is the family of John/Jack Redding.

I wish I could find them in the 1891 census. On the 1901 census, John is at the Certified Industrial Truant School in Brentwood (RG13; Piece: 1186; Folio: 79; Page: 3)

and the rest of the family is at RG13; Piece: 1192; Folio: 152; Page: 24
    (census records Crown copyright in care of TNA)

The obituary, mentioning flowers from Jack & friend lead me to believe that the marriage to Lilian was not successful.

Edit: Susan Redding died in 1926.
    Last edited by AdeleE; 08-11-2010 at 6:46 PM. Reason: added a bit

Margaret1940

The birthdate in the death index is Nov 5th not 7th. Is it possible there could be a mistake in the 5th Nov entry? The 7th is correct according to her birth cert.

My posting of this death index listing is pure conjecture. I was hoping to find a Lilian Helena with the exact date of birth. However, the accuracy of information on any registration depends on the person giving the information.

Margaret1940

Thats very true. I have been looking for a marriage for lilian helena redding to a Jones but so far no luck. Its a huge coincidence that the lilian jones you found has almost the same birth date as Lilian Helena Redding.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast