Default Looking for a RC Priest in Portsmouth

Hi, I am looking for a William Smith who became a RC priest in Portsmouth (at least I think he was catholic). William was born 1885 and died 1947. I am sorry that this is all the information I have. I had written to a priest in Portsmouth and he was not able to help me.
    Can anyone help me with some leads. I have tried the censuses but again no luck.
    Patricia

Colin Moretti

You could try the Portsmouth Diocesan Archive

Colin

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    William was born 1885 and died 1947. I am sorry that this is all the information I have.
    Patricia
    If this is the same family as your 2005 thread, information given on this earlier thread indicates that he was born in Gosport.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I have tried the censuses but again no luck.
    Patricia
    To find him on the 1911 census, search for William Smith, born c1887, Gosport.

Thank you I will give it a try.

It was the same family but in 2005 I wasn't sure which of the children were priest. I have since found a family member who was able to tell me it was William but that was all they could tell me.

I have looked at both the 1901 and 1911 censuses under both Alverstoke and Gsoport, no luck.

Could he have joined the church from a young age of 14?

Patricia

Brick wall demolition expert!

For the 1911 census, try looking for a William Smith who was born in Gosport c1887. He wouldn't necessarily have been living in Gosport in 1911.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleE
    For the 1911 census, try looking for a William Smith who was born in Gosport c1887. He wouldn't necessarily have been living in Gosport in 1911.
    ...........Patricia, when you find the 1911 census entry and are viewing the original schedule, look towards the top of the screen and you'll see a small box headed by 'Original Images' click on the middle link for 'Address' and you'll see something which may confirm your idea as to which church he belonged.

PS - If you get stuck finding the original entry, try RG14/2219 SN1

Thank you, Thank you.
    I looked at the one and didn't realise what Theological meant. I should know better than not too follow through.
    Thank you again.
    Patricia