Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    A fountain of knowledge

Default Do I assume or Not?

I've tracked my 2xgt grandfather William John Mumford alias Willis born abt 1814, back to Finchingfield Essex (so say court documents).
    His marriage cert & death cert don't state his parents names.

FreeReg has a William John Willis bap 1814 to a John Willis and Sarah Willis & no Mumfords that fit the date.

Do I accept that this is most likely my man (with a note that its unconfirmed) and carry on this branch or is this a dead-end?

I plan to pay a researcher to search the local newspapers for his trial but if his parents names aren't mentioned what do I do?

A fountain of knowledge

Also......is the Chelmsford Chronicle for 1814 papers available online?

Lizzy9

Quote Originally Posted by Chisel View Post
    I've tracked my 2xgt grandfather William John Mumford alias Willis born abt 1814, back to Finchingfield Essex (so say court documents).
    His marriage cert & death cert don't state his parents names.
    FreeReg has a William John Willis bap 1814 to a John Willis and Sarah Willis & no Mumfords that fit the date:
    Remember that birth years given can be a few years out, also many children were baptised a few years after their birth. You need to consider baptisms say ...... 1814 +/- 5 years. Have you looked on the IGI, and the Family Search Pilot site?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Do I assume or Not
    Remember Chisel,' ass u me' makes of one he who does so.

Are you looking for your Man as Willis or Mumford.
    I plan to pay a researcher to search the local newspapers for his trial but if his parents names aren't mentioned what do I do?
    Have you tried the London Gazette, & do you have a year for alleged trial, are you sharing 'what did he do'?

Have you found him in England & Wales Criminal Registers 1791-1892 (via Ancestry)?

Along with Lizzys' queries, you have a few thoughts to ponder.

Just found him 'Mumford' alias Willis -1834 -would you like a p.m.?
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Coincidently, pilot search has the baptism of a William Mumford 29th May 1814 at Kings Walden in Herts c.45 miles from Fitchingfield. Parents John & Sarah. batch no.C07256-1

(plus others)
    Happy Families
    Wendy

A fountain of knowledge

Waitabit, you can post what you like about this fellow. I have left alot of history on him in another thread under 'Black Sheep'.
    William & 2 cohoots got caught nicking a horse. I have him recorded as being sentenced at Chelmsford stayed on the Hulk Levianthan for a couple of months - small gap then a ride to Tasmania aboard the Augusta Jessie.

I'm looking for him under Mumford AND Willis since I don't know what his real name is.
    I've checked the London Gazetteb but nada. He was sentenced 1 July 1834 Essex Sessions.
    I have him in the England and Wales, Criminal Registers 1791-1892 & UK, Prison Hulk Registers & Letter Books 1802-1849.

Court records have him as 20 in 1834 so therefore born about 1814.

Yes I know about asses and mules and the problem about making assumptions even when tagged as being unproven is that the tag is forgotten and it becomes fact.

A fountain of knowledge

FreeReg has County Essex
    Place Finchingfield
    Church St John the Baptist
    Baptism Date 19 Jun 1814
    Forename William
    Father John
    Mother Sarah
    FatherSurname WILLIS
    MotherSurname
    Abode Little London in Finchingfield
    FatherOccupation Labourer

Why would you confuse it with another John & Sarah?

I see I don't have anything you don't already have Chisel. Need to vacate forum for a time, good luck with this. Do check out the other
    Williams -Mumford & Willis, as there is no proof he was born where he was caught. He could after all probably ride a horse

To your above, this is just another take on the Mumford / Willis- William, nearby to Essex. Just in case he was Mumford first.
    Happy Families
    Wendy

A fountain of knowledge

OK I know what I have to do........(no cheating without hard facts).
    Back to one of my other questions......is the Chelmsford Chronicle for 1814 papers available online? since they would most likely have covered the trial.

Here's a couple more snippets in case it helps
    "William Mumford late of the parish of Little Bardfield, Labourer otherwise called William Willis – For stealing a gelding"
    "That John Britton, William Mumford alias Willis, William Hubbard severally convicted at this Session of felony "

Just noticed this "Transported for Horse Stealing, Gaol report not known, Hulk report, Good, Single, Stated this offence, Horse Stealing, Single. Real name William Willis, Surgeon report Good"
    "Native Place Finchingfield"

Maybe my assumption is closer that I thought.

Geoffers

IF it relates to your chap, further corroboration of approximate age is given in the medical journal of the convict ship 'Aurora' - click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast