Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RobinC

Quote Originally Posted by Jellylegs View Post
    Henry William and Elizabeth can be found at HO107/1585/94/16
    That's the 1871 census not the 1851 census

RobinC

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzy9 View Post
    Yes he would, but relationships on past census often weren't recorded in the way we would consider correct today. For example sometimes nieces and grandchildren were entered on census returns as step children. Jellylegs has given you the record from a parish register, which in my experience would be more reliable than a relationship entry on a census return.
    I've just looked at the entries that Jellylegs found and have to agree that Henry Robert David is the son of Robert Henry & Jane Mary Ann, this would make him my great grandfather's older brother.

Knowledgeable and helpful Jellylegs's Avatar

Ancestry London marriages:

Robert Henry CROUCH and Jane Mary Ann DAMIREL married on 22.07.1863. Father of Robert Henry is given as Henry, an Engineer (Henry William?).

Henry Robert David CROUCH and Harriett Jane PIGGOTT married 05.06.1864. Father of Henry Robert David is given as Robert Henry, a Lighterman. One of the witnesses was a Jane Mary Ann CROUCH.

Knowledgeable and helpful Jellylegs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    That's the 1871 census not the 1851 census
    I don't think so Robin. 1871 census references start RG10. 1841 and 1851 census refs. start HO107.

RobinC

Ancestry London marriages:

Robert Henry CROUCH and Jane Mary Ann DAMIREL married on 22.07.1863. Father of Robert Henry is given as Henry, an Engineer (Henry William?).

Henry Robert David CROUCH and Harriett Jane PIGGOTT married 05.06.1864. Father of Henry Robert David is given as Robert Henry, a Lighterman. One of the witnesses was a Jane Mary Ann CROUCH.

The wedding of Robert Henry & Jane Mary Ann sounds spot on as Robert's apprenticeship as a waterman ended in March of 1863 and they weren't allowed to marry during the apprenticeship.

It also makes sense as I found a wedding for a Henry Robert David Crouch in 1884 (which is the same as above) on freebmd and I also believe the death record I found in 1900 is correct as the Crouch family lived in the West Ham where the death was registered.

RobinC

I don't think so Robin. 1871 census references start RG10. 1841 and 1851 census refs. start HO107.
    When I put the census reference in, it came up with the 1871 census.

Lizzy9

When I put the census reference in, it came up with the 1871 census.
    You need to select 1851 census. Or alternatively look for French instead of Crouch. The census sheet is a bad copy and difficult to read, hence the mistranscription.

AnjaliUK

It would make more sense if Henry Robert David was the son of Robert Henry but the 1871 census has the following information for Henry Robert David:

Name: Henry R Crouch
    Estimated birth year: abt 1864
    Relation: Grandson
    Father's name: Henry William Crouch
    Mother's name: Elizabeth Crouch

If Robert Henry was Henry Robert David's father, then Henry R would be the great grandson of Sarah?
    In the trasncription I did above (post 5), the original 1871 census does NOT state that Henry RD aged 7 is the son of Henry and Elizabeth. It says he is the GRANDSON of Sarah, who is also the mother of Henry William. You are quoting Ancestry's transcription I think, which I noticed gave Henry and Elizabeth as parents. A fair assumption, but not a factual one in this case.

As the baptism records posted by Jellylegs suggest, Henry R aged 7 is the son Robert H. In the 1861 census record you posted, it shows that Sarah probably has a son called Robert H. Therefore Henry RD would be Sarah's grandson.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12