jen51

Default How to confirm I am tracing the right family

Tracing a Thomas Ramsay born Rothbury. Have found him in the 1841, 1851, 1861 Census and they all state he was born about 1813 in Rothbury. I have been unable to find him around this time. I have obtained a copy of his Marriage Certificate to Magdalen Trewick in 1838 and it states his age at marriage of age. It shows his fathers name as William Ramsay. I have found a Thomas Ramsay with father William and mother Isabell in Rothbury born 1808 but I do not know how to confirm if this is the right Thomas I am looking for.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Jenny

AnjaliUK

A consistant five year difference does suggest this might be a different person, people who didn't know their age tend to go up and down a bit I think. However, there could be a reason for him lying - for example, is Magdalen older than him?

I would check to see if there are any other people with the same name, DOB and place of birth. If there's only one baptism (in the original records), and no burial with it, and only one match in the censuses too, then it would be fair to assume it's the right person. However, if it was me, I would still want to find some extra evidence, because there are plenty of missing parish records, plus non-conformists to contend with. Perhaps if you look into his children and the children of Wm and Isabell you will find cousins visiting shared grandparents or something like that. Sounds like a long shot, but I have linked up many an ancestor this way, by coming across an unexpected clue whilst researching their children or siblings.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by jen51 View Post
    Tracing a Thomas Ramsay born Rothbury. Have found him in the 1841, 1851, 1861 Census and they all state he was born about 1813 in Rothbury. I have been unable to find him around this time.
    Where have you been looking? The IGI's coverage of baptisms at Rothbury doesn't go beyond 1812, and from what you say he might have been baptised a little after that.

If you haven't already tried, you might want to look at the original records. Images of the bishops' transcripts for Rothbury 1761-1831 are available online at Record Search Pilot, in the collection England, Diocese of Durham, Bishop's Transcripts, ca. 1700-1900.

The records are browsable only, not searchable.

jen51

Thank you for the reply. Magdalen is younger than Thomas by between 3 - years. I will do as you suggested and see if I can find any other baptism's etc.

Thanks

Jenny

jen51

I got Thomas's birth 1808 with parents William and Isabell from Beta Family Search.
    I will look at the site you have given me.

Thanks