Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    clive_t

Default Help with identifying a military uniform

Hello

Through a recently-discovered family connection, I have obtained a photo of an ancestor... I am not convinced he is a direct ancestor, but nonetheless I am curious about the origins of the uniform. I am thinking it is very strongly reminiscent of a military dress uniform, or possibly it is masonic in nature. Can anyone advise, or point me at a suitable web-site that might shed some light on this? It is believed that although he (Samuel Starkey Tucker) was born in Cannington (or Bridgwater) Somerset in 1828, he died in Salt Lake City, Utah, in 1893. Possibly, therefore, the uniform has American origins.

Any information/advice gratefully received

Best regards

Clive

MarkJ

Hi Clive,

I would agree that it looks a bit Masonic - do you have a larger image of the regalia?
    Although similar to US Cavalry Dress uniform from that period, the triangular badges seem a bit odd for that uniform.

clive_t

Mark, thanks for your reply. Sadly this is the only image I have at this time. Indeed, the triangular insignia do look somewhat odd for the US Cavalry, as does the sword handle. I shall try looking for websites that show masonic insignia, to see if anything looks similar to what the photo shows. If I come back with one trouser leg rolled up and a funny handshake, you'll know I've been successful!

Cheers

Clive

Retlaw

Quote Originally Posted by clive_t View Post
    Hello

Through a recently-discovered family connection, I have obtained a photo of an ancestor... I am not convinced he is a direct ancestor, but nonetheless I am curious about the origins of the uniform. I am thinking it is very strongly reminiscent of a military dress uniform, or possibly it is masonic in nature. Can anyone advise, or point me at a suitable web-site that might shed some light on this? It is believed that although he (Samuel Starkey Tucker) was born in Cannington (or Bridgwater) Somerset in 1828, he died in Salt Lake City, Utah, in 1893. Possibly, therefore, the uniform has American origins.

Any information/advice gratefully received

Best regards

Clive
    [B]Just had a look at the photo, may if you scanned it at a higher resolution than 76, we may get more detail of the insigna and helmet plate, its definitely not military, could be any of the other secret orders, not just Masons, never seen any Mason's regalia like that. Could even be Volunteer Fire Brigade or some obscure Police Force.

Retlaw. [B]

clive_t

Thanks for the reply - unfortunately my source for this image does not have the original - she is trying to contact that person to see about getting a better resolution image. If I am successful in obtaining that as well then I will update this thread with it.

Thanks again

Clive

stevenpenny

Hi,

Definately not Masonic in any way shape or form. You might want to look at the American Civil War for some answers.

Steve

Knowledgeable and helpful Jellylegs's Avatar

I think it may be Knights of Pythias. Google Knights of Pythias sword and choose images - there are quite a few that look just like the sword your chap has.

I also found this https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...ed-1/seq-6.pdf taken from the Salt Lake Herald, 4 March 1893.

You will need to enlarge it, but if you look at the second column under Knights of Pythias, the last paragraph is about the funeral of Brother Samuel S. Tucker. Could this be your Samuel Starkey Tucker?

clive_t

This could very well be the man - we have a date of death of Feb 28, 1893 (in Salt Lake City, Utah) - so a funeral of 3rd March at that location would certainly fit.

Excellent work, thank you so much for this - and to all others who took the time and trouble to respond

Clive

petmas

Utah have on line free to view death certificates

clive_t

Quote Originally Posted by petmas View Post
    Utah have on line free to view death certificates
    Thanks for this reply.

Would this be from the LDS site? I have looked this morning, and I have found an entry for him in the ancestral file, but no indication of how to see the death certificate? Would it be possible to post a link to where I can get it, please?

Thanks again, for your help.

Clive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast