Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: James Donovan..

Procat

Quote Originally Posted by dalek39 View Post
    Olliecat....Re the John S Donovan thread, can it be moved to here, or is that too confusing..its the same family..just a thought.
    I haven't his birth certificate but I do have his death one...He was always known to us as John Henry Donovan, and it wasn't till he thought he was going to "meet his maker" that he gave his true name..as John Sewell, that is what started this whole Donovan business off...to find out who he really was....and I still don't know...Dale.
    Is this the thread you are talking about?

When you say moved here do you mean to the General Irish Family History part of the forum?

dalek39

Dear Procat...yes, the John S Donovan thread is the same family as Joseph Bartrum Azelby Donovan, Joseph BA is John S Donovans father. I'm trying to trace this family ..and James Donovan is the father of Joseph BA.. and maybe born in Ireland, but not sure at this stage......whatever you think, I just dont want to confuse people, I'm confused enough..ha...Dale.

Procat

Hm, looking at the other thread I think it is better where it is. There is no real connection to Ireland until you get further back. Also we now have a link to that thread in this one at post 21.

dalek39

Dear Procat...Thats fine with me...Dale.

dalek39

I have just found three death records for...James Donovan..born abt 1831..died 16 Feb.1834..age 3/4 buried at Whitefields Memorial Church..Camden Middlesex...also..Sarah Donovan..born abt. 1828 died age 8. 17 Jul. 1836...buried at Whitefields memorial Church..Camden Middlesex...and...Mary Donovan..born1827..died age 10..12 Nov. 1837..buried at Whitefields memorial Church..Camden Middlesex...
    These children are possibly the children of James Donovan.as the birth dates fit in......This was on London Non-Conformist registers..Ancestry...
    I did find an A Donovan...born abt 1836..departed London age 21..for Sydney NSW..but maybe not Alic Donovan......any thoughts on this....Dale.

dalek39

Ollicat...Moderator thought it best to leave...save confusion...thansk for your help anyway...Dale.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Ollicat...Moderator thought it best to leave...save confusion...thansk for your help anyway...Dale.
    Yes it's probably best as a separate thread.

I have just found three death records for...James Donovan..born abt 1831..died 16 Feb.1834..age 3/4 buried at Whitefields Memorial Church..Camden Middlesex...also..Sarah Donovan..born abt. 1828 died age 8. 17 Jul. 1836...buried at Whitefields memorial Church..Camden Middlesex...and...Mary Donovan..born1827..died age 10..12 Nov. 1837..buried at Whitefields memorial Church..Camden Middlesex...
    These children are possibly the children of James Donovan.as the birth dates fit in......

The family you were considering might be yours in post #13 were ...

1841: Class: HO107; Piece 721; Book: 5; Folio: 25; Page: 18;
    Miter Street?, St James Dukes Place, London
    Jane Donovan 45, born ireland
    Mary Donovan 14, born ireland
    Sarah Donovan 12
    Joseph Donovan 9
    James Donovan 6
    Alic Donovan 4
    All apart from Jane and Mary were born in the county

Are you considering other options? That the children buried at Whitefield's may be the children of James Donovan rather than the ones you found in the 1841 census?

The problem is that the burial records give no indication of how or if these children were related. Looking at other Donovan burials at Whitefield Memorial Church around this time, I can see ...

• Elizabeth Donovan 1765-1841 (from St Giles parish).
    • Mary Donovan 1791-1842 (from St Pancras)
    • Charlotte Donovan 1815-1833 (from St Pancras)
    • Alfred Wm Donovan 1837-1838 (from St Pancras)

Speculating, it could be that the Mary buried above is the mother of the children that were buried.

In case this helps, futher information on Whitefield Memorial Church can be here. Toward the bottom of the page there is a list of records available at the LMA. Included in this list are ...

• Records include registers of baptisms, 1805-1879 ...
    • Registers of burials, 1756-1845 ...

There are also minute books and attendance registers but they cover a later date and so are unlikely to be of use to you. It appears that the christening records for the Whitefield Memorial Church are on Ancestry as well as the burials. However, I couldn't see any christening records for the children you listed. Presumably they were christened elsewhere, which will make tracing their parents rather tricky.

Brick wall demolition expert!

..and...Mary Donovan..born1827..died age 10..12 Nov. 1837..buried at Whitefields memorial Church..Camden Middlesex....
    Further to the above. The child Mary you found a burial record for - this is likely to be her death record

Deaths Dec 1837 St Pancras 1 301
    Donovan Mary

There is also this death record - possibly for the other child buried at Whitefields ...

Deaths Jun 1838 St Pancras 1 325
    Donovan Alfred William

You could order a copy of Mary's death certificate from the GRO. However early death certificates did not state how the informant was related to the deceased person. Thus it's a gamble that it will contain anything useful. If you are lucky, the informant's name may give you a clue as to her parentage, but there is no guarantee.

dalek39

Thanks Ollicat.....my brain hurts with all this...getting certificates with English currency is rather costly, especially if there is risk its not the correct person....anyway, I will get onto this later, as I have to go out now... many thanks for your help...Dale.

dalek39

I have not been able to locate James Donovan ..father of Joseph BA Donovan..so would like to complete this thread for the moment....
    Open to any advise on this matter...thanks...Dale.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast