Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Kavik

I did notice the trip to the US and have detailed info about that - he was on the Mosely Commission on Education and made a trip with a ton of other people to the US to study the educational system or something like that.

Re the 1891 census - curious that he seems to be sharing a houehold with a Lucy Goddard, a single woman (domestic servant) who is one year younger than he - no mention of wife or children yet he lists himself as married (?!). Not that I'm implying amything, just kind of odd.

Lizzy9

Have you found him on the 1911 census?

Tolly

There is a person Arthur William Black correct age living in Nottingham in the census ... haven't got access to the transcript though

pottoka

There is no marriage on freebmd around 1886/7, i.e. 24 years before the 1911 Census.

However, using the free search facility on Scotland's People, I found one match for Arthur William Black between 1885 and 1888 in the Statutory Register Marriages. Presumably then, he married Helen in her home parish.

Kavik

Thanks all - I can not view some of the census records, but what I have been able to make out seems to be this:

Arthur W Black married (most likley in Scotland) in 1888 to Helen (most likley Irvine - dau of Andrew and Jame) and had a daughter born the first quarter of 1889 names Ethel Mary S Black (The 'S' is most liklely Spence, Helen's mother's maiden name).

Have not been able to obtain a photo of him yet.

I can not seem to find Helen or Ethel on a 1901 census (England or Scotland) - any ideas??

Thanks!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12