Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Kavik

Default Arthur W Black- Mayor of Nottingham 1902-1903

Hello all,

Trying to find out a little info on (Sir) Arthur Wlm Black, mayor of Nottingham 1902-1903. I have been able to find a little bit about him, but am wondering if he ever married and if so, what was his wife's name - any chilren? It's possible he may be connectd with a family story passed down through the generations. Trying to gather more information to either prove or disprove the story.

Would there possibly be a portrait of him online somewhere??!!

Thanks!

Tolly

Hi

I'm guessing you've found the extensive wikipedia article on him? Have not managed to find any records of marriage yet, only birth record and census details for 1871/1881/1891

Paul

glynisaddy

hi
    same as paul, found the wikipedia article but no marriage records
    glynis

Kavik

Yep - have the Wikipedia article and have even checked out some of the links at the end, but to no avail.

Would the city hall (mayor's office) have something like that? Here in Manchester, New Hampshire in the city hall we have along the corridors portraits and photos of all the past mayors of the city.

A longshot perhpas.

Tolly

Good idea: try via their website www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk maybe

Paul

Lizzy9

Re: 1891 census.

Arthur William Black is entered as married, but there's no wife living with him.

Lizzy9

He's also on this passenger list: Arthur William Black, 40 years and 7 months, MARRIED, Lace Manufacturer, resident of Nottingham, Ship: Philadelphia, port of arrival - New York, port of departure - Southampton.

Lizzy9

1891 Scottish census index, sorry I don't have access to the original sheet but you could view via Scotland's People on a pay to view basis.

Ethel M Black age 2, born Nottingham, Lace Manufacturers dau, Helen Black (Ethel's mother) age 35, born Paisley, Renfrewshire, Lace Manufacturer's wife, they are visitors in Andrew Irvine's household at Kilfinan, Argyll.

Lizzy9

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzy9 View Post
    He's also on this passenger list: Arthur William Black, 40 years and 7 months, MARRIED, Lace Manufacturer, resident of Nottingham, Ship: Philadelphia, port of arrival - New York, port of departure - Southampton.
    Apologies, I missed out the ship's arrival date: 10 Oct 1903

Tolly

In that case Ethel will be: Ethel Mary Black S Black b March Qtr 1889 Nottingham (from FreeBMD.org.uk)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast