Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    pattenwalsh

Yes and the only Donald W.I can find was born 1906 Kings Norton ,Worcester. Irene (Nellie ) would have been 52 in 1934 ,I wonder?

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    There is a baptism for a Nellie Ranyell in Walthamstow in 1898. Parents are George and Eliza.

Source: Ancestry, England & Wales Christening Records, 1530-1906

I looked at this also but it has a birth listed as abt 1898 which doesnt tie in with Nellies birth unless the birth is wrong and she was baptised late in life, she would have been around 16 at this stage, this would tie in with the Nellie listed on a family tree on Ancestry as born 1882 to George Alexander Ranyell (brn West Indies 1846)(1851 living Essex with parents George and Emma Ranyell)and Eliza Eugenie Smith-London, this ties in with the birth I mentioned above.A number of siblings are listed, checked 1901 census and the mother Eliza aged 49 is widowed and living with some of her children in Walthamstowe Essex.

Could be on the right track! 2 of the children were baptised on apparently the same day in Walthamstowe Nellie and Jessie, Ernest was Baptised the following month

Quote Originally Posted by nobbig View Post
    The 1891 census has no mention of her or her family
    The Ranyell family can be found on the 1891 UK census at RG12, Piece 1076, Folio 74, Page 66 (Crown copyright in care of TNA). Nellie is recorded as a 9 year old daughter of George & Eliza.

nobbig

Dear All, I'm really touched by your efforts.
    1. I made a mistake: Nellie's birth year was 1882 and I have her certificate.
    2. Irene Ranyell was my mother, the orphan.
    3. I'm puzzled by the late christening (the year before her father died) as George Alexander (father) went to a Methodist college in Taunton and was the son of a Methodist missionary. Did they change religion?
    4. I visited what used to be the orphanage but, apart from one list with her name, no luck there. Might try again though.

Any suggestions regarding Nellie's employment as midwife in India? Maybe she died from the flu' after 1916 or married. She seems to have just disappeared.

nobbig

Smile La Retraite school/orphanage Lambeth

Hello, I'm trying to find out about my mother, Irene Lucie Lavinia (what a name for an orphan) Ranyell, who was in the orphanage in the early 1900s and was put into service at the age of 14 - from which she ran away. I have contacted the archivist but no luck. Any Eureka moments out there? Mine have retired.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

And my mother finished up in a Catholic orphanage (no luck there).
    I visited what used to be the orphanage but, apart from one list with her name, no luck there. Might try again though
    Which orphanage? If she was sent there under the poor law, there may be something in the Board of Guardians records for the relevant poor law union. Where was your grandmother living at that time?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    Which orphanage? If she was sent there under the poor law, there may be something in the Board of Guardians records for the relevant poor law union. Where was your grandmother living at that time?
    Sorry, I now see you answered this question (on another thread) before I had asked it. I have moved your post into this thread to keep all the information together.

If your grandmother was living in Lambeth at the time your mother was admitted to the orphanage, it might be worth searching the records of the Lambeth Board of Guardians, as suggested above. These are held at the London Metropolitan Archives. Some may be accessible online through Ancestry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12