Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen barbara lee's Avatar

Default Who was Major Deere?

Can anyone find anything out about a Major Deere, "an owner of estates in Wales, and connected with two historic families, [who] met his death in a tragic manner while riding from Cowbridge to Swansea." This would be in about 1810-1816. Perhaps the Army lists of the time have further details, so does anyone have access to them?

I don’t know Major Deere's first names, or whose son he was, although I suspect he was the son of Reynold Thomas Deere (JP and Deputy Lieutenant) of Penlline Court, in the Vale of Glamorgan.

I would also like to know the servIce dates of an army surgeon, William Salmon (1790 – 1896), who took the news of the Major's death to Penlline Court, and because of this mission, met and married the elder daughter of the house, Hester Deere (married on 7th November 1816). Hester Deere was my ancestor's cousin.

William Salmon, husband of Hester, lived to be 106 and there was an extended article about him in the New York Times around the time of his 106th birthday. I quote below just part of that very long article about his life.

I would be grateful for any information about Major Deere and the service dates of both him and William Salmon.

Barbara

"Dr Salmon is the oldest living member of the College of Surgeons, who have satisfied themselves as to the date of his birth. It is told of Dr. Salmon that when in youth he was a dandy of the period, who delighted in the excitements of his day. Certainly he was not a recluse, for he became an army surgeon, "the youngest surgeon in the force." He had hoped to find exciting occupation with Wellington's army, but in this he was disappointed.

The mention of Waterloo to the patriarch brings back many distant memories and evidently gives delight, for he moves restlessly in his chair at the sound of the word, and speaks of his experiences in that great crowd of English folk who rushed to Paris and Brussels on the downfall of Napoleon. When the news of Waterloo reached England he posted across country to the channel, and crossed over to Paris. He was one of the earliest arrivals. It was not the monarchical rejoicing in the "Gay City" that interested him, however, for he hurried on again to Brussels, in the wake of Thackeray's heroes and heroines, as described in "Vanity Fair." Brussels, filled with an excited crowd of representatives of all nations, did not stay his progress, and in the enthusiasm of youth, he continued to the field of Waterloo. Here, while the field was still wet with the carnage of war, he collected many souvenirs and these, you learn, occupy a prominent place in his little museum at Penllyn Court. From Waterloo he followed in the wake of the Duke's victorious army to Paris – and back to his beloved Vale of Glamorgan.

A love romance with a fortunate ending cut short his career in the army. Major Deere, an owner of estates in Wales, and connected with two historic families, met his death in a tragic manner while riding from Cowbridge to Swansea. Dr. Salmon was stationed at the latter place, and was selected to carry the news to the Major's family, at Penllyn Court. The sequel to this was his marriage, in course of time, to the heiress of the Deeres and ownership of the family mansion and the broad acres where he has spent the best part of his life.

He was then in the first fullness of manhood, and his marriage relieved him from the necessity of following his father's profession for a livelihood. He was able now to pursue his inclinations, and chose a period of travel and of full life. He ended his connection with the forces as an army surgeon, and undertook "the grand tour." He was now a country gentleman, with the ease that wealth enables a country landlord to affect, keeping a town house, and travelling freely."

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by barbara lee
    I don’t know Major Deere's first names, or whose son he was, although I suspect he was the son of Reynold Thomas Deere (JP and Deputy Lieutenant) of Penlline Court, in the Vale of Glamorgan.
    Any mention of Major DEERE's first name in the will of Reynold Thomas DEERE? - It might give you a starting point from which you may then be able to more accurately search The London Gazette.

Geoffers

In fact, is the chap you are after Reynold Thomas DEERE?

London Gazette 17 Jul 1798

and was he in turn the son of Reynold DEERE?

Thanks Geoffers

I hadn't thought of the London Gazette. So it looks like it was the father, and not a previously-unknown son after all. I had though that a Major would be a younger man, not a 67-year-old.

Also I had these reports of Reynold Thomas Deere's death.
    The Cambrian newspaper of 21st October 1815 "R .T. Deere Esq., Penlline Court, near Cowbridge, died at Mackworth Arms, Swansea, after dining with his brother magistrates."
    The Gentleman's Magazine of 1815 has "Oct. 18. At Swansea, R T Deere Esq. of Penlline Court, near Cowbridge. He had retired to rest, after spending the evening with his brother magistrates; and, having for some time been in a declining state of health, requested to have his bed warmed, when, on the servant's return, he was found a corpse."

The story from William Salmon suggested "Major Deere" had died on the road in a riding accident, which didn't match the story above of Reynold Thomas Deere dying at a Swansea inn after a (presumably) well-lubricated dinner. If the Major is the father, I wonder why it was a young Army Surgeon who took the news to the family, not one of the"brother magistrates". Of course, the New York Times article was written 80 years after these events and could have been romanticised and distorted by the tellers.

Thanks also for the reference to the will. I knew that Reynold Thomas Deere had died in late 1815 and that his two daughters were his heiresses but I hadn't looked for his will. I will get it, although it may not tell me much more (but you never know!)

Barbara

PS. No, Reynold Thomas Deere was the great-nephew, godson and principal heir of Reynold Deere, not his son. I have that previous will, thanks.
    Last edited by barbara lee; 21-10-2010 at 5:36 PM. Reason: Added a PS

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by barbara lee
    I hadn't thought of the London Gazette.
    A good source of information for the most unlikely things. The knack is in thinking what and how much detail to include in a search.

So it looks like it was the father, and not a previously-unknown son after all. I had though that a Major would be a younger man, not a 67-year-old.
    Well, it's just a suggestion at this stage - but the will dated 1815 matches your information of him dying 1810-1816. The London Gazette entry conveniently identifies what appears to be him in the army. At least it's something to work on.

The story from William Salmon suggested "Major Deere" had died on the road in a riding accident
    Yes I can see how "met his death in a tragic manner while riding from Cowbridge to Swansea" might be interpreted as some sor of accident. Perhaps the tradegy was that Dr Salmon had loaned the Major a fiver for the evening's lubrication and now couldn't get his money back??

which didn't match the story above of Reynold Thomas Deere dying at a Swansea inn after a (presumably) well-lubricated dinner.
    If you've got to go, that's as good a way as any.

If the Major is the father, I wonder why it was a young Army Surgeon who took the news to the family, not one of the"brother magistrates".
    Perhaps the brother magistrates had also been hitting the sherbert? Short of more information, we can but guess nearly 200 years later.

Of course, the New York Times article was written 80 years after these events and could have been romanticised and distorted by the tellers.
    It has been known

Good luck

That young Army Surgeon (who was to live to be 106) certainly had an eye to the main chance. No sooner had he got his foot inside the door to announce the news of Major Deere (possibly the head of the household), than he had wooed and married the elder of the co-heiresses, who was six or seven years older than him, and he was made for life. You have to hand it to him - quite a bright spark!

I will have a go at finding something more about his career in the London Gazette.

Barbara

Diane Lea-Jones

Came across this while searching for a sculptor called J Wood who flourished in Bristol c. 1815. According to Ingrid Roscoe's directory he is mentioned in Pevsner's Glamorgan as having made the monument for Reynold Deere in 1815 at Llanfrynach, Glamorgan. Doesn't help me with my search for J. Wood but there is a possibility it may be of use to you. Realise your last post was quite a while ago, but thought it worth a punt.

Best wishes.

Diane Lea-Jones

Thanks, Diane
    Interesting to know that his daughters went to a Bristol sculptor, not the local monumental mason.
    I have a picture of it (not very good) and a transcription, if you would be interested.
    Barbara

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I have just joined the forum and am very thankful for the work of researchers posting here. I'm finding this thread highly entertaining and illuminating since that young Army surgeon and the heiress he married were ancestors of mine! I hope to have more time in future to contribute to discussions and in the meanwhile am most interested to see what contributors to this forum have discovered. These are the kinds of stories which somehow failed to be recorded by my mother's family!

How interesting to hear from you Fiona!
    I am descended from Reynold Thomas Deere's sister Catherine Thomas, and did some research on Reynold Thomas Deere and his daughters because they were so interesting. I tried to follow down any descendants of William Salmon and Hester Deere, but concluded that there probably weren't any. Perhaps you'd like to PM me and we could swap notes.
    Barbara

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast