Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Hello Fiona and welcome to the British-Genealogy forums

I love it when an old post on BG attracts the attention of researchers and possible living relations.
    Funny how some sides of ones family know all the juicy 'bits' and others 'know' nothing isn't it? It was deliberate cover ups in my mother's lot I know.

We look forward to seeing you around the forums and hope you join in. The more the merrier! .

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

thanks Christanel!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hereford Journal 06 December 1781

Lately was married Reynold Thomas DERRE of Penlline Court in the county of Glamorgan to Miss Hester RICHARDS second daughter of the Reverend Robert RICHARDS Vicar of Llantreffant of the same county

Western Mail 23 February 1894

Headed
    Pedigree of the "Morien"
    Interesting Genealogy on the maternal side
    The Archdruid's descent form a noble welsh family

A learned gentleman has been amusing himself by tracing back "Moriens''maternal ancestry amd the following is the very interesting result.

Starts 1640

sub heading a foot of column

Garth Vawr Llantwitt Vadre

Ann married Thomas FRANCIS LLantrisant

Major Reynold DEERE Penllyn Court ( Brother of the said Ann) whose daughter Dr Salmon married inherited both Garth & Penllyn Court Estates was her only Brother

Western Mail 29 June 1891

Interview with Dr Salmon aged 102 lists family members including one who adopted the name Reynold Thomas DEERE...I need all day to make sense of the 2 articles, plus paper & pencil to draw a family tree!!

Includes Mr Reynold THOMAS who had been reared by his Uncle .....adopted the name of DEERE

To whet youyr curiosity I can now see where the horse fits into the 'story;!!!!

All on FMP

Baptisms (FMP images on line)

Octavia Julia Deere Salmon, bap. Aug 12 1828, abode Penllyne, parents Hester and William, Physician
    William Reynold Deere Salmon, bap. Nov 29 1817, abode Penlline, parents Hester and William, Surgeon
    Rosa Lany Deere Salmon, bap. Mar 20 1826, abode Llandaff, parents Hester and William, Physician
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Welshnewspapers on line

https://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk//en/home

If you pop "thomas deere" (include the " ") in the search field "Find an Article" it will return a number of hits to browse through (not all "your" Thomas).

Have a look in particular at the Cardiff Times, 18 May 1896

http

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I think Major DEERE was born Reynold THOMAS and for whatever reason adopted the surname DEERE proving it may be a different matter!

The Evening Express, 5 Nov 1895, gives details of Major R T Deere's parents and the link with the Rev John Deere.

paulpk

I have found a document in my late father's papers. It is dated 7 August 1804 for the sale of land between Reynold Thomas Deere of the parish of Penlline to Thomas French of Wenvoe.
    My grandmother was a Deere (Carrie Isobel May Deere) so I assume this document came from her to my father. My grandmother's father was Thomas Deere (1852-1925). I am intrigued how Thomas Reynold Deere is related as her was survived by daughters.

Valued member of Brit-Gen barbara lee's Avatar

Hello Paulpk
    Reynold Thomas Deere (RTD)(1748-1815), who is the "Major Deere" of this thread, was indeed survived by only his two daughters. To complicate matters, RTD wasn't a Deere by birth, he was born plain Reynold Thomas, but became the heir of his gg uncle Reynold Deere and took his surname when he inherited.
    No idea what relation your g grandfather Thomas Deere was to RTD, but he can't be a (legitimate) descendant. There were other Deeres in the Vale of Glamorgan, but that doesn't explain how one of them should have a deed between RTD and Thomas French of Wenvoe. No idea, sorry.
    Barbara

paulpk

Thanks Barbara.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast