Titanicfan

Default British Army Garrisons in Malta 1885-1905

Hi everyone

Please excuse my ignorance, but can anyone explain to me the background to the British Army Garrisons in Malta from 1885-1905 as I have recently discovered one of my ancestors who was in the RAMC with the 3rd Battalion Hampshire Regiment was stationed there at that time. Was Malta a main area for medical treatment at that time? Was Malta of prime importance during the Boer War? Were there War Diaries at this time?

Also, do you know about any helpful books on the Hampshire Regiment and the RAMC?

Any info. would be most welcomed.

Geoffers

Being roughly halfway between Gibraltar and the Suez Canal, Malta was of considerable importance and used as a stopping point, especially on the long trip to India. It may be incorrect, but I would imagine it would be very useful for the army to have a medical base to deal with sickness/injury amongst military personnel trvaelling between India and Britain.

For books on the Hampshire Regiment/RAMC - try the 'Naval and Military Press' (it turns up with any search engine) or the regimental/corps museum.

Titanicfan

Thanks for the background info, and the bookshop details, Geoffers.

Can I just ask - were war diaries available between 1885-1905 or was this too early for them?

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Titanicfan
    Can I just ask - were war diaries available between 1885-1905 or was this too early for them?
    Too early.

A search of TNA's catalgoue for the term "hamsphire AND regiment" for the period 1880-1900 in class WO brings up these hits

A similar search for "67th" brings these hits

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

Malta Family History is a great little site to start with :-

https://website.lineone.net/~stephaniebidmead/index.htm

Keith

Melbourne Aust. ~ a drop kick away from the Essendon Airport - 9 miles out of Melbourne

Yes, Malta was a main area for medical treatment for the British Military

My mother was brought up at Floriana c1894, a town next to Valletta. She used to tell us stories about the Hospitals that were in and around Floriana. Also large homes were taken over by the Military and used for medical treatment.

You'll find useful information in the Website that Keith9351 gave you

You can also have a look at my Site : https://malta-family-history.blogspot.com

Good luck. Bill

Titanicfan

Thanks for all your helpful info, everyone.

Bill - I will definitely be bookmarking your website - I found it very helpful and interesting.