This looks like Cornelius Snr in the 1861 census of Bicester:

RG9/900, folio 118, page 34
    St John's Street

Cornelius LOVERIDGE Head Un 54 Tin Worker Oxon Middle Barton
    Leafy SMITH Boarder Un 52 Hawker do Studley
    Mary do do Un 26 Gen Serv Bucks ?
    James do do 15 Tin Worker Oxon Bicester
    Roseary do do 11 Scholar do do

Sorry I forgot the folio no for the 1841 census - it is 14 and all the family are definitely shown as LOVERIDGE. I can't find them in the 1851 census at the moment but will keep looking.

Janet

janbooth

Default LOVERIDGE

Right here they are in the 1851 census of Bicester - ages totally different once again:

HO107/1729, folio 422, page 20
    Crockwell

Cornelius LOVERIDGE Head Mar 40 Brazier Bainton Oxon
    Delathy do Wife Mar 42 Oddington do
    Clementina do Daur Un 12 Bickley do
    Elizabeth do Daur Un 5 Bicester do
    James do Son Un 2 do do
    Rosena do Daur Un 1 do do
    Rosena do Grandaur 8 Netting ? Stoke Lyne do

Wonder why they suddenly became unmarried in the 1861 census??

Janet

Lizzy9

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    HO107/1729, folio 422, page 20
    Crockwell

Cornelius LOVERIDGE Head Mar 40 Brazier Bainton Oxon
    Delathy do Wife Mar 42 Oddington do
    Clementina do Daur Un 12 Bickley do
    Elizabeth do Daur Un 5 Bicester do
    James do Son Un 2 do do
    Rosena do Daur Un 1 do do
    Rosena do Grandaur 8 Netting ? Stoke Lyne do
    Janet
    I've been going through some Loveridge records I had saved to my Ancestry Shoe Box (looked up for the other Loveridge thread). I found the above 1851 census; I have Rosena as being age 80?, and Grandmother. From this I deduce she is Cornelius's mother.

andmar

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    This looks like Cornelius Snr in the 1861 census of Bicester:

RG9/900, folio 118, page 34
    St John's Street

Cornelius LOVERIDGE Head Un 54 Tin Worker Oxon Middle Barton
    Leafy SMITH Boarder Un 52 Hawker do Studley
    Mary do do Un 26 Gen Serv Bucks ?
    James do do 15 Tin Worker Oxon Bicester
    Roseary do do 11 Scholar do do

Sorry I forgot the folio no for the 1841 census - it is 14 and all the family are definitely shown as LOVERIDGE. I can't find them in the 1851 census at the moment but will keep looking.

Janet
    Is this Leafy Smith the same person as D'Leafy who was with Cornelius in the 1841 census.
    If so would this be her maiden name?

Sorry I haven't been keeping up but I am away from home for a few days.

Andy

andmar

Also from the same post does this mean Mary, James,and Roseary are Smiths.

Andy

janbooth

Hi Andy & Lizzy,

Lizzy, you are correct, the 1851 census does say Grandmother, sorry about that Andy, and the age would have to be 80 although that is quite difficult to decipher.

Andy, Looking further into the Leafy SMITH shown in the 1861 census with Cornelius, I do think she is his wife but don't understand why they are both suddenly unmarried and with different surnames. This could perhaps be her mother as there is a Delathey SMITH in the 1851 census of Bicester living at Crockwell as follows:

HO107/1729, folio , page 7

Delathey SMITH Head Un 60 Netting ? Finmere Oxon
    William GOSTELOW Lodger Un 21 Brazier Bicester do
    Thomas LOVERIDGE do Un 19 Umbrella Maker Middleton Stony do
    Ann do do Un 15 Lacemaker Bearstall Bucks
    Mary Ann do Grand daur 10 Bicester Oxon
    Jane do Lodger Un 18 Lacemaker do do
    Sarah BANISTER do W 70 Netting ? Stoke Lyne do

And she is also in the 1861 census of Bicester Market End:

RG9/900, folio 115, page 28
    Crockwell

Leafy SMITH Head Un 64 Hawker Oxon Finmere

Looking at the details from the 1851 census record, the Ann LOVERIDGE aged 15 born Bearstall Bucks would appear to be the Mary SMITH, aged 26, born Bearstall Bucks in the 1861 census - could she have been a Mary Ann?? The Thomas LOVERIDGE could be the son of Cornelius & Leafy, correct age, but why a Lodger and not grandson?

But, by the 1871 census of Bicester Market End (RG10/1445, folio , page 40) there is the following record:

15 Crockwell

Cornelius LOVERIDGE Head Mar 65 Tin Plate Worker Oxon Bicester Mkt End
    DeLeafy do Wife Mar 62 Hawker do do

So Cornelius & Leafy are now married again!!

There are 2 baptisms on Family Search Pilot of children to Cornelius & D'Leafy as follows:

16 February 1834 at Becklay, Oxon Queenesia LOVERIDGE daughter of Cornelius & Dalitha
    9 December 1838 at Becklay, Oxon Lermartina LOVERIDGE daughter of Cornelius & Salether

I think Becklay should be Beckley which is west of the M40, south west of Bicester and east of Kidlington. So at least these two children were baptised as LOVERIDGE. James SMITH in the 1861 census could be the James LOVERIDGE in the 1851 census of Bicester.

Daughter Elizabeth LOVERIDGE would appear to be working as a Housemaid in Leamington, Warwickshire in the 1871 census (RG10/3195, folio 77, page 50) in the household of a Sarah HEARD and in the household of a Richard MORRIS in the 1861 census of Leamington.

There is a marriage on the GRO Index in the March qtr 1859 of a Clementina LOVERIDGE & a Thomas SMITH which may be relevant. They are living in Bicester in the 1861 census, Thomas being a Grinder, aged 24, born Ledwell Oxon, with their 2 children Emanuel & Sidney. From our past researches the LOVERIDGE & SMITH families seem to have intermarried quite a lot.

I wonder if this is daughter Georgiana who has married a George LOVERIDGE and is living in St Thomas Oxford in the 1861 census - the LOVERIDGE families also intermarried a lot - as she is shown as Georgeanna, aged 21, born Bicester which fits beautifully with the 1841 census record. However, at the moment I can't find the marriage of this couple so can't definitely confirm my speculation.

Lunchtime now and I need to put my thoughts in order again. Will look again later.

Janet

andmar

Hi Janet, Lizzy and Graham.

I am back at home now and had a chance to put down on paper and make sense of all the hard work you have done.
    There are still a few mysteries but like you said the Loveridges are hard to pin down.
    I would just like to say thankyou for all your time and effort.

Andy.

janbooth

Great and good luck with your future research. Let us know if we can help in any way.

Janet

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345