Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    janbooth

Oh, I've been suffering from LOVERIDGE withdrawal symptoms, Lizzy!! I think for the most part the Towcester LOVERIDGE families seem to have settled down in one place much earlier and actually appear on census records which makes it so much easier to trace them!! Let's hope we have found the correct families for Andy.

Janet

Lizzy9

Hi Andmar,

The following web page looks like it could relate to your Loveridges (if we have the correct family)

sarah-henson.co.uk/names/loveridge.htm (put www. in front)

janbooth

Hi again Andy,

I think your AYRES family is going to be more problematical to research than the LOVERIDGEs in the first instance.

The 1851 census shows James AYRES living at Caroline Street, St Clement, Oxford (HO107/1727, folios 331/2, pages 49/50) and he is described as a 35 year old Labourer born Garford, Berks. His wife is now shown as Caroline born c1820 at Wootten, Berks. Both of these places are very close to Abingdon. They have 5 children all born St Clement: Robert aged 9, Thomas aged 8, Fanny aged 6, Henry aged 4 and Stephen aged 1. The 1861 census of St Clement shows James's occupation as "Labourer & Travels with ? & ?" - can't read what it actually says, but perhaps that fits a little better with your expectation. Wonder what has happened to all the children shown in the 1851 census??

It looks as if something catastrophic happened to perhaps both James & Caroline/Catherine after the 1861 census, as by the 1871 census children Lydia, Francis and another child Annie aged 9 (also born St Clement) were in the Union Workhouse Headington, all 3 shown as scholars. Aha, there is a death registration of a Caroline AYRIS in the September qtr 1863 at Headington reg district (contains the parish of Oxford St Clement) which could be very relevant.

Emma LOVERIDGE gives her age as 17 in the 1881 census of Banbury which would fit in with the baptism in Towcester quite well. Have you managed to find William in the 1881 census Andy? I'm not having much success so far.

Janet

andmar

Hi Janet, this is from 1881 census on FMP and here Emma gives her age as 24.

AYERS, William Head Married M 26 1855 Chimney Sweep Oxford (middle name Knight)

AYERS, Emma Wife Married F 24 1857 Swindon Wiltshire

AYERS, William Son Single M 3 1878 Thame Oxfordshire

AYERS, James Son Single M 1 1880 Brill Buckinghamshire

I don't know if it is any help buy I have found a death for Emily Ayres aged 69 at Abingdon in March 1928
    (from Free bmd)

andmar

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzy9 View Post
    Hi Andmar,

The following web page looks like it could relate to your Loveridges (if we have the correct family)

sarah-henson.co.uk/names/loveridge.htm (put www. in front)
    Yes Lizzy this looks really relavent IF we have the right Emily.

Andy.

Lizzy9

Emma, or Emily it would appear she used both names. The 1881 census you posted Andy - which has EMMA and William has Emma born Swindon Wilt's, so how about this?

1871, Barton St Mary, Gloucestershire, living in tents. RG10/2621/53/11 (Crown copyright, in care of TNA)

Cornelius Loveridge 42, Gypsy Traveller, Buck's
    Amelia Loveridge 41, Whitney, Oxfordshire
    Betsy Loveridge 20
    Louisa Loveridge 18
    Richard Loveridge 16
    Emma Loveridge 14, CRICKLADE, Wilt's
    Susan Loveridge 10
    Mary I Loveridge 8
    Sarah Loveridge 4
    Carishine Loveridge 2 ?????? (a dau, Christine, maybe?)

Lizzy9

1881. On Lydiard Plain in caravan, Liddiard Millicent, Wilt's. RG11/2022/15/24 (Crown copyright, in care of TNA)

Cornelius Loverage 54, Travelling Tinman, Marsh Giffard, Buck's (n.b. I am transcribing what is written)
    Amelia Loverage 46, birth place not known
    Louisa Loverage 20, (All 3 children - Witney, Oxfordshire)
    Jane Loverage 17
    Sarah Loverage 15

There's other Loveridge families on the same census page.

Lizzy9

Emma Loveridge baptised 23/5/1858 at Fulbrook, Oxford, parents: Cornelius and Amelia

Lizzy9

A marriage: Cornelius Loveridge to Amelia Duckett, 26/12/1859 at Fulbrook, Oxford.

There's a Richard Duckett aged 80 in the next tent in 1881.

Lizzy9

1891, Stow on the Wold, Gloucestershire. RG12/2038/35/18 (Crown copyright, in care of TNA) Living in a caravan.

Cornelius Loveridge 63, Travelling Tinman, Bister [sic] Oxfordshire
    Amelia Loveridge 62, Witney, Oxfordshire
    Frank Ayers 9, grandson Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast